Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps attached 2nd Indian Cavalry

flintman

Hello Forum 

The following incident interests me. 
I would appreciate any help. 
I want to locate where an incident occurred. ?

I have tried my best but can’t find the correct records to achieve this. 

On the 19/7/1916 four Army Service Corps and one Royal Field Artillery soldiers died on this date. 
All are buried in Becourt Mikitary Cemetery. 
I believe they were killed as a result of a premature shell burst during a “munitions fatigue” causing bullets to “fly around”. 
T4/059873 Driver T Stewart was one of the casualties and CWGC describes him as being : T = Transport  

2nd Indian Cavalry Division . Army Service Corps. 

I have tried via National Archives to find entries for 2nd Indian Cav, Army Service Corps 1st Divisional Train (CWGC). Also tried 20th Deccan Horse (2nd Ind Cav) but with no success other than to say where the  Deccan Horse was on the 19/7/16 which does not really answer question re: this incident. 
I was hoping to find an entry in ASC records in which this incident is recorded and in which Somme location. (if one exists). 5 soldiers appear to have died so there maybe at least a mention and/or  location recorded ?

Any help appreciated or guidance upon what exactly I should be searching for  in the National Archives ? 
Thank you for reviewing my request. 
Clive 

I think you are looking for 71 & 83 (MT) Coys., ASC., also 427 (HQ Coy).

Michael Young lists 71 as being 2nd (Indian) Cavalry Division Divisional Supply Column (No 1 Section) with 83 Coy (who I think were No. 2 Section.

The war diary to look at is WO95/1184

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=WO95%2F1184&_sd=&_ed=&_hb=

All subsections should be of interest. (1, 2, 3 & 4)

• Admin

Having looked at the casualties and Lives of the FWW with the trancript from the newspaper which I assume you have seen.

Three of the men interred at Becourt Military Cemetery were attached to HQ Coy 1st Divisional Train

The service record of one of those men TS/9647 Cook has survived together with a report of his death which simply says "Killed in Action" SDGW lists all five of those men as KIA

The war diary of the 1st Divisional Train is here at TNA

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C4554411

and here on Ancestry

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 12.45.40.png

Image from Ancestry

It just appears there was an incident, the entry for the 20th is quite telling "6 men and 4 horses detailed from train to replace casualties"  or in other words moving on. I looked at the Headquarters Diaries for 2nd Indian Cavalry Division no mention of any incident in the Assistant Director Ordnance Services for that date simply moving the ordnance dump. Though has to be said it is quite brief.  There is no report of casualties in the 112 RFA Diary. 

As Dai has posted I can find no mention of any other incident in the diaries he has cited.

I am wondering if the deaths of the other three (or four if we include Gnr Wadsworth) men are related to the death of your man?

Many thanks for your very helpful replies. I will need to go back to this and review. I think you have sorted this out for me though. 
 I spent ages trying to find out the information you have supplied in 9 minutes so thanks again. 
Yes I found Wandsworth details and which was helpful. Ie:  Market Harborough Advertiser which said “ died on munitions fatigue when one shell burst prematurely and bullets flew around” As he was Royal Field Artillery I wasn’t sure whether he was killed in a different incident to the others who were ASC !? (Albeit same day) Seems unlikely. 
They could all have been in an area covered by the one explosion.

I will go to the information you have given me when I can get to my computer and will respond properly.Thanks again  Clive