Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of Canthac Dump near Charing Cross?

Buffnut453

A location "Canthac Dump (near Charing X)" is listed in the 26th Field Ambulance War Diary entry below.  

image.png.f5c993ec78f5018fbcbd079804f1990d.png

I've found the other locations listed in the passage (Prowse Point, Bunhill Row, Underhill Farm and Pont d'Achelles) but Canthac Dump has evaded me completely.  I did find Charing Cross but that's quite a distance south compared to Prowse Point, Bunhill Row and Underhill Farm, which seems an odd detour for a casualty evacuation route.

Has anyone out there in GWF-world ever heard of Canthac Dump or, better yet, know where it was located?

Since it said "Dump" I checked the WD of 8 Div CRE for September 1917 and there is a reference to a Canpac Dump at U 19 d 3 7 in the Works Progress Report. I haven't had a really good look but the RE were doing work for the RAMC and laying tramways.

Brian

TNA WO 95/1960.

1690.jpg

If you look at m_5_003303 in TrenchMapper, you can trace the narrow guage lines and tramways in the area. Right click and choose Map ID Jump.

Underhill Farm is marked so is Bunhill Row, both findable in Advanced Search but I cannot see Canthac Dump or a local Charing Cross.

Howard

This 1:10 000 map on the NLS system is dated July 1917 and shows U 19. I will try and find a bit more.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464687

Brian

EDIT No maps showing more detail in the WD of 8 Div HQ GS 

TNA WO 95/1677

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Many, MANY thanks @brianmorris547.  I'd have never considered looking in the Division CRE records.  I think you've nailed the location precisely.  It looks to be very close to Butler's House which appears on many of the trench maps (Charing Cross was slightly to the south and nearer to the road). 

Really appreciate the help.

8 hours ago, Howard said:

If you look at m_5_003303 in TrenchMapper, you can trace the narrow guage lines and tramways in the area. Right click and choose Map ID Jump.

Underhill Farm is marked so is Bunhill Row, both findable in Advanced Search but I cannot see Canthac Dump or a local Charing Cross.

Howard

Many thanks Howard.  The TMapper map is the best I've seen for showing the rail lines and tramways in the area.  It seems likely that the tramway ran east-west along the bottom end of Bunhill Row, and then on to Canthac/Canpac Dump.  

2 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Many thanks Howard.  The TMapper map is the best I've seen for showing the rail lines and tramways in the area.  It seems likely that the tramway ran east-west along the bottom end of Bunhill Row, and then on to Canthac/Canpac Dump.  

There are others in the list as well.

Howard

Howard and White Star Line are the experts on TrenchMapper and I leave it to them. I like to try and help anyone who is stuck so as an alternative I look for a map or sketch from a War Diary of the time, which may have some notes attached and gives me a good bit of reading.

All good stuff.

Brian