Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery pouch ?

Brian J Owen

Good morning, I have purchased a pouch belonging to I believe the Warwick.R.H.A.  and I appreciate some expert advice from more knowledgeable people. As the unit was only in existence

for 1908 until 1919 I was excited to find it, it looks in excellent condition y questions at the moment are as follows, 

(a) who or what rank would have worn this i.e. officers or other ranks or both and was it only cerimonial?

(b) what is the embossed mark under the flap, perhaps a maker of military leather?

(c) what was the use ot the metal liner in the pouch for?

Kind Regards,

Brian

w.r.h.a 2.jpg

w.r.h.a. 1.jpg

w.r.h.a..jpg

Could be an excellent find. Given that the Warwickshire RHA badge has been reproduced in quantity it will be interesting to hear the experts pronounce badge genuine and mounting on pouch original.

These officers' undress pouches always had that tin liner, at least to keep the form but maybe another purpose. 

Charlie

Hi Charlie, I must admit I was a little shocked when I saw it, and I realise that anything and everything is faked these days. If the badge is real, not that I would sell either part, it has certainly worth every penny, and as its a unit I am very fond of, so its a bonus, and will be looking forward to any other comments,

Thank you for your reply,

Regards,

Brian

wrha 7.jpg

wrha 6.jpg

wrha 5.jpg

5 hours ago, Brian J Owen said:

Good morning, I have purchased a pouch belonging to I believe the Warwick.R.H.A.  and I appreciate some expert advice from more knowledgeable people. As the unit was only in existence

for 1908 until 1919 I was excited to find it, it looks in excellent condition y questions at the moment are as follows, 

(a) who or what rank would have worn this i.e. officers or other ranks or both and was it only cerimonial?

(b) what is the embossed mark under the flap, perhaps a maker of military leather?

(c) what was the use ot the metal liner in the pouch for?

Kind Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian, 

It's a Cross belt pouch. My photograph shows the officers of 3rd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment, Territorial Force, at camp in Cheshire, 1908.

R.W.F. T.F. (4).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Hi GWF1967, thanks for your reply, and a brilliant photo. I was not sure as who would have warn it O/R or the officers,  so thank you, you have answered that part, 

Kind regards,

Brian 

Coming way out of left field here, but it looks like the Siamese “juk” or “chakri”.  I know that a clearer image of the buttstock marking exists, but I have not been able to find it.  Photo from The Lee Enfield Story by Skennerton.

4F2AE556-F8D9-46C2-8049-49D8B177B4DB.jpeg

Hi, that's interesting, I would never have guessed that. In this day and age we tend to forget the empire, and rest of the world who were supplying the British army, this pouch has travelled the world. I will try and expand on your information, 

Thanks for your posting, brilliant, 

Kind regards, 

Brian