Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft at Gallipoli on 23rd May 1915

Darian

My great grandfather at ANZAC Cove mentioned in his diary that an "enemy airship visited us, no damage done though" on the 23rd of May 1915. It wasn't mentioned in any of the other diaries I've read on that day.

I assume he meant plane not airship. I've seen previous posts that the Ottomans were operating Rumpler B.1 and Albatross B.1 that month. Are there any sources that can pinpoint the one that flew over on that date or the records aren't that precise? Or are there any specifics of each plane that might hint at which one was more likely to be operating? And finally, were the Germans also operating?

Thanks

I can't work out how to edit my original post but a quick one to add - I've just this minute received another diary from a troop who said this of the event "Today a German Tauble dropped a bomb near us but it did no damage."

I understand that Taube is used to as shorthand for any plane but it's interesting that he said it was German.

Mate,

I am sure others will give you more, but the first German aircraft arrived in May 1915 three Albatross B1 of the Dardanelles Flieger-Abteilung

These had to fly the long trip Austria as Serbia and Bulguria would not let them fly across there countries.

There had been three Rumpler B1 aircraft since Feb 1915, but by May only one was airworthy.

While they did the odd bomb drop, there major role was recce of the Gallipoli area and out to the islands.

There bases were at that time at San Stafano and Chanakkale

While the Ottomans had started to fly, the planes at that time were run by the Germans, as they trained the new Ottoman pilots, who would soon start there own companies.

As a side line the Ottoman Balloon company was not raised until July 1915, but this was a observation type not a airship

S.B

The resources which I have access to do not specifically mention the action on 23 May to which you refer, however of course, this does not mean that it did not happen.

This is from 'Ottoman Aviation 1909-1919' by O. Nikolajsen,

“Flown by the German pilot Garber with Hüseyin as observer this important flight [25 April 1915] covered the whole coastal area from the Gulf of Saros in the north to the Anatolian stretches in the south taking three hours. After the flight during which 2 bombs were dropped and which established the position of 45 transport ships the crew was able to issue a report giving a detailed picture of the landings. Whilst this important flight was taking place another aircraft assisted the Turkish monitor "Turgut Reis" in making indirect fire from the Straits on British units in the Gulf of Saros. On the 27th Garber and Hüseyin in a daring low level flight managed to establish the disposition of enemy lines on the fronts of Seddülbahir (Cap Helles) and Ariburnu (ANZAC cove).

From this time on, during the rest of the Gallipoli campaign, daily recce flights over the front were flown.”

You have already correctly identified the aircraft available to the Ottomans at this particular stage; 1 Rumpler B.I and 3 Albatros B.I's

Mate,

As shown by Michael,  I show;

Garber Hugo Johann Max Jakob    civilian / Lt    Pilot Airforce att Dardanelles Flieger-Abteilung Çanakkale 2-15 to 1st Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk 5-15 RTG 9-15     1915-    (1893 - 1928) (Shown German-Turkish Air Auxiliary Comand at Czerneheviz in Hungary) ferry aircraft to Turkey Feb to Aug 1915 shown with Hüseyin Sedat (O) over flew Senro bay 25-4-15 and 27-4-15 later flight instructor RTG 9-15 (not identified) (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Yüzbasi     Capt Naval    Hüseyin Sedat Efendi    Observer to pilot 4-16 Airforce shown first OC (1st) Aircraft Company 8-14 and shown 1st Aircraft Company 3-15 shown att Seaplane Sqn (Wasserfliegerabteilung) 6-15 shown T/OC from Preussner to OC 4th Aircraft Company (from Mihat) 4-16 shown OC early 1918         Trained Naval Flying School at Yesilköy 10-14 (Albatros B1)? with (P) Seidler (Seydler) spotted Allied Fleet off Mudros 17/18-3-15 & (Albatros B1) with (P) Garber over flew Senro bay 25-4-15 - shown Albatros B1 (A2) with Serno (P) in first air battle with pistols over Gallipoli 2-5-15 trained Pilot at Yesilköy 1-4-16 shown in Rumpler B1 (R12) with Behcet (P) over Cyprus 11-16 Commander of the department February 1918 (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen)

The action shown highlighted is as close to that date I can find for any sortie.

S.B

In his "Ottoman Aviation 1909-1919"  O. Nikolajsen has this to say regarding the German contribution to the Ottoman air-force at this stage of the conflict
[chapter 5]
“In January 1915 Captain Erich Serno of the Prussian Army reserve was appointed to head and assist in the re-organisation of army aviation in Turkey. Captain Serno was already renowned in aviation circles. He had obtained his flying certificate in 1912, participated in several "Deutchland flights" and was therefore regarded as eminently qualified for a commission as Major in the Ottoman Army. In addition twelve German civil pilots with valid flying certificates who's background made them suitable as officers or senior NCO's were employed. Similarly 32 mechanics and riggers were hired. The first assignment for this cadre of personnel was to prepare and assist with the delivery of recently procured aircraft to Turkey. They were then to be offered positions in the Flying Service. … … … … 

In addition to the hired German civil pilots, a few regular officers of the German army arrived during the summer (1915) to serve with the Ottoman Army Flying Organisation as pilots, observers, instructors and unit commanders. Some of the civil pilots preferred to return to Germany after having performed their initial duty of delivering aircraft, but the majority took commissions in the Ottoman Army. … … … …”

Thanks both of you! That provides a lot more colour than I had expected from a short line in a diary. It sounds like the flights were mostly for reconnaissance with a little bomb dropping on the side. I'll have a look through some other diaries to see if anyone ever reports being wounded.  

Mate,

Yes these early types had limited horse power and could not carry a lot of weight

So bombing was not there prim role, while they could carry a few small bombs or darts, these would be lucky to do much damage

But they did get lucky at times.

Harassment was the best they could do in the bombing role

I sorry but the records for most flights/sorties are lost in time, a number of missions have been recorded but not all.

We come across some of these sorties in our diaries, but there hard to confirm from Ottoman/German sources.

On the German/Ottoman side they were trying to set up the flying school, and train aircrew, Serno was new to the job and trying to get anyone on side as the problem of Navy and Army and who was in command, added to that politics

Added to that was the poor maintence of the German planes as Ottoman ground crew had no idea of these new aircraft and German ground crew had not arrived in numbers

Most planes were lost to poor maintence or accidents in these early models

Just some back ground here

S.B

Mate,

As to add to the dead.

I checked all unit War diaries for an answer, but found only two refer's

In the 1 Aust Div war diary, there is a note to say a aircraft had bombed the rear area of 10Bn HQ 11.15 am

I check of the 10Bn War diary fails to find any mention?

But on checking the 10Bn unit History by Lovell it does mention

23 May German planes occasionally passed over and dropped bombs

Since you didn't say who or in what unit your Grand father was in, I am lost to known where to look next as this is the only mention that day in the AIF?

S.B

3 minutes ago, stevenbecker said:

Mate,

As to add to the dead.

I checked all unit War diaries for an answer, but found only two refer's

In the 1 Aust Div war diary, there is a note to say a aircraft had bombed the rear area of 10Bn HQ 11.15 am

I check of the 10Bn War diary fails to find any mention?

But on checking the 10Bn unit History by Lovell it does mention

23 May German planes occasionally passed over and dropped bombs

Since you didn't say who or in what unit your Grand father was in, I am lost to known where to look next as this is the only mention that day in the AIF?

S.B

Thanks for going above and beyond. He was part of the 12th Nelson Company in the Canterbury Battalion, at ANZAC Cove that day. I'd checked Ian Hamilton's diary but he was offshore and more concerned with submarines - the Triumph and Majestic were both sunk within the next week and get a mention in every diary I've read. I didn't think to check other diaries.

Mate,

Thanks that clears that up.

Yes the great slaughter had just happened and on the 24 May was the Armistice to bury the dead.

So the units had more pressing problems

I am sorry but the only War diaries for the NZ I have are the Mounted Regts and they are also short on details during this period.

The Light Horse/Mounted Regt's had arrived around the 15 May so I am out there.

The History of the NZ Div starts in France not Gallipoli?

So checking most NZ sources are for you blokes who know more.

S.B