Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Bn Royal West Kents

Terry Carter

Can anyone help please. I am trying to find out what actions the 6th Royal West Kents were involved during the period of around 7 to 12 March 1916. There were 26 men killed during this period and most are commemorated on the Loos memorial. However Pte Gouldsborough is in Vermelles British cemetery and Pte Wise is in Lapugnoy (they died of wounds and both were from Blackburn, Lancs).

Thanks

terry

Guest goughy19

Terry

on March 6th the 6th Battalion went into the line at the Hohenzollern Craters where the redoubt of the same name had stood. they spent the period of time you are looking at facing "an active and aggressive enemy".

as you stated casualties were 24 men killed, 3 officers and 132 wounded.

hope this assists

Dave Gough

Can anyone help please. I am trying to find out what actions the 6th Royal West Kents were involved during the period of around 7 to 12 March 1916. There were 26 men killed during this period and most are commemorated on the Loos memorial. However Pte Gouldsborough is in Vermelles British cemetery and Pte Wise is in Lapugnoy (they died of wounds and both were from Blackburn, Lancs).

Thanks

terry

They were involved in actions at the Hohenzollern Craters, fighting mainly for "Triangle Crater" and defending against almost continuous and strong German counter-attacks between March 6th and March 10th, when they were sent back into the support lines.

Dave.

I have the Trench Map CD Rom and have had difficulty trying to locate 'Triangle Crater' and the wherabouts of the Hohenzollern craters. Has anyone got a map showing where they are please.

Thanks

Terry

I have the Trench Map CD Rom and have had difficulty trying to locate 'Triangle Crater' and the wherabouts of the Hohenzollern craters. Has anyone got a map showing where they are please.

Thanks

Terry

They're on 1:10,000 trenchmap 36C NW 3 (Loos) (nearest date on the CD being the 7a edition) . Location of "Triangle Crater" is G4 D59,65.

Dave.

...or (in English!) it's the bottom British held crater on this extract (near Sap 9).

Dave.

post-357-1113088549.jpg