Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Book about the Macedonia Campaign!

Struma

I am always interested in anything to do with the Macedonian campaign, however it would useful to understand what this book adds when compared to the existing literature.

8 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

I am always interested in anything to do with the Macedonian campaign, however it would useful to understand what this book adds when compared to the existing literature.

I contacted the author Jon Lewis who, in summary, says that his aim has been to tell the story of the whole Macedonian Campaign, giving appropriate weight to the contributions, political and military, of each of the five component armies of the Allied Army of the East, their General Staffs and their Governments.  He says that, to his knowledge, no book has appeared in English on the Macedonian Campaign as a whole since Alan Palmer’s Gardeners of Salonika in 1965, and he felt that nearly sixty years later it was time to re-examine the whole Campaign. He says he has also used a number of significant sources and inputs which have appeared in the meantime and that he has made considerable use of French sources, some new. There's also an introductory section dealing with the history of Macedonia from classical times up to the Balkan Wars and thirteen  new maps covering both sides of the Vardar, as well as Albania and the Romanian Campaign because, and I have sympathy with this, he says he can’t stand reading about places which you can’t find on a map!