Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does the term casuals refer to in a War Diary entry?

1 IG

In a War Diary entry for the 1/5th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders the following passage appears: - The Adjutant wrote on the 19th January 1918 :

" A draft of 60 O.R. of whom 5 were casuals returning from hospital arrived and were posted to companies."

Can anyone explain what the term casuals refers to? My thought is that they were casualties returning to duty, regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2023 at 19:44, 1 IG said:

In a War Diary entry for the 1/5th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders the following passage appears: - The Adjutant wrote on the 19th January 1918 :

" A draft of 60 O.R. of whom 5 were casuals returning from hospital arrived and were posted to companies."

Can anyone explain what the term casuals refers to? My thought is that they were casualties returning to duty, regards

Mike

I would say it’s Casualties 

Thanks for that, I was almost sure that it meant casualties returning from hospital or convalescent facilities.

19 hours ago, 1 IG said:

Thanks for that, I was almost sure that it meant casualties returning from hospital or convalescent facilities.

As the war went on the medical evacuation chain became more efficient and filtered out the more lightly wounded men who could be treated without being sent to Blighty.  They were usually patched up as necessary, passed through a short convalescence at the Base according to need, and then sent back to infantry base depots for reposting. Most drafts in the second half of the war would’ve contained a proportion of these, but not all war diaries mention them.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Mike

It means Casualties.

Army Form B 213 was the Field Return to be completed on a weekly basis by all Units. See this example from the WD of 94 Field Co RE, 19 Div. 

TNA WO 95/2070.

Brian

2070.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

Thanks Brian

Another very helpful reply.

Michael