Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aragon in Malta

amccor

Hello! I've been trying to research the HMT Aragon and get as much information about the activity of the ship in the week or two prior to the sinking. I've come across accounts that the ship arrived at Malta on December 23, 1917 and that she and the transport ships stayed there at anchor for a few days. In one of the accounts I read, I learned that whilst at anchor some of the officers and the Matron of Nurses were allowed to go to shore, however what I'm trying to find out is where exactly they were anchored. Online the only thing I'm pulling up is that they were at "Windy Bay," which I'm not finding any other reference to anywhere or on a map.

Is there anyone who could help me figure out where they anchored at Malta? Thank you so much!

As far as I know there is no Bay on Malta or Gozo called Windy Bay.

However Marsaxlokk Bay on the south east of the island used to be called Marsa Scirroco, Marsa means Port and the Scirroco is a South Easterly wind which comes off the Sahara and can reach gale force.  Marsaxlokk Bay has long been an anchorage for large ships, there are not many safe anchorages around Malta, but in a South Easterly wind of any strength it could well live up to the name windy bay.

The photo is the Aragon but don't think it is Malta

Tony

Aragon.jpg.22b255d2901789edee62a5b5779b3ac6.jpg

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to find--something that might fit the name. That sounds like it might be a good possibility. The account with it being called "Windy Bay" was a primary source (a journal, I believe), so my feeling was that the soldier who wrote it may have roughly translated a local name.

4 hours ago, amccor said:

The account with it being called "Windy Bay" was a primary source (a journal, I believe), so my feeling was that the soldier who wrote it may have roughly translated a local name.

The ‘Windy Bay’ reference comes from a letter sent to the parents of one of the VAD’s, written by an un-named officer from the Aragon who had shared a life boat with her after the sinking.

https://www.bugbrookelink.co.uk/WW1/Articles/Account of Aragon Sinking.pdf

MB