Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery spoon from odd location!

Hartwell

Loved browsing through this thread and have learnt a lot but going off to search regiment names was unsuccessful for what I am trying to discover, so am uploaiding a couple of pics here in the hope that this spoon will be of interest and that someone might be able to help me identify what the numbers and letters mean. Am assuming military but could find nothing with these numbers searching on the web. I have assumed WW1 military but perhaps I am completely wrong. The odd location is that I found this in Chile!!

SPOON 1.jpg

SPOON 3.jpg

SPOON 5.jpg

PO X 4869 is a Royal Marine number from c. 1925 and 1948. PO is Portsmouth Division and the X is the post-1925 bit.

No idea what DDKS might be.

Cheers,

GT.

Thank you so much for this. It looks as I have posted in the wrong forum as the sppon is so late, apologies to all. Really grateful for the information

4 hours ago, Hartwell said:

Thank you so much for this. It looks as I have posted in the wrong forum as the sppon is so late, apologies to all. Really grateful for the information

I wouldn't worry about that - if it wasn't for the X (and only the X), it would conform to WW1 in every other respect.

Thank you! Would you have any ideas as to where I might look for the DDKS? Have been through few webpages with military abbreviations, but nothing.

No clue whatsover.

D used to be a prefix for Depot or Deal, but presented like this, it doesn't fit the format.

I wondered if it was a 'micro-unit' like 'Dover Docks' or somesuch; but Google reveals nothing at all or even tenuously like it I'm afraid.

Cheers,

GT.