Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French postcard translation, please.

grantmal

Hope this is the right forum for this request: recently bought this postcard and would greatly appreciate a translation, please, kindly French speaker. (Assuming it's French...)

Alice-MArtin-pc.jpg.14c091c1bda4e8bf41cd3528d144a6a6.jpg

My g-grandfather spent 3 days under treatment at the Gare Maritime before evacuation to England in late November 1914, and while following his trail I came across these postcards and wondered when the photo was taken. Thankfully, Alice Martin helps to narrow down the date.

Alice-MAertin-front.jpg.0163b7faf9e5da3b42797b0c2924c320.jpg

Here's my first draft of the French. There are grammatical errors in the original let alone my draft!

18/10/14 (postmarked 19/10/14)

Depuis longtemps je me méfie de vous écrire pour vous demander si mon cousin Abel est parti chez vous. Florentin est parti depuis deux mois. Jusqu'à présent il était à Angers mais il part ces jours-ci, il part à Bruges pour conduire des chevaux, c'est à dire pour faire du ravitaillement, il conduit du matériel du génie, tous cela c'est bien triste de voir une chose pareille, tous ces pauvres malheureux qui ne sont plus déjà et ce n'est pas fini.  Enfin il faut prendre courage et espérons qu'il en reviendra encore car je serai bien malheureux que tout y resterez. Enfin je pense que vous ne donnerez de vos nouvelles ainsi que cela d'Abel et de la cousine ainsi que du bébé qui doit déjà être grand. Je pense que le cousin Colline? ne doit pas être parti.

Tout la famille se joindre à moi pour vous embrasser de tout leur coeur.

Edited by charlie962

This is how I read the sense of the card but I'm open to correction. I've avoided being too literal with translation.

"For some time I've hesitated to ask you if my cousin Abel has left. Florentin went 2 months ago. Up till now he's been at Angers but he's leaving now for Bruges to drive horses that is to say for rations and also supply of engineering equipment.

It's sad to see such a thing, all those poor unfortunates already gone and it's not finished yet. Let's hope he comes back as it will be too sad if he doesn't.

Anyway I hope you will give me your news and that of Abel and the cousin and the baby, who must be quite big by now. I don't think cousin Colline has gone yet. 

The whole family join me in sending you a heartfelt hug."

Charlie

5 hours ago, charlie962 said:

but he's leaving now for Bruges

I *think* it says Troyes (or perhaps Broyes but both Broyes' in France are tiny villages)

17 hours ago, charlie962 said:

This is how I read the sense of the card but I'm open to correction. I've avoided being too literal with translation.

"For some time I've hesitated to ask you if my cousin Abel has left. Florentin went 2 months ago. Up till now he's been at Angers but he's leaving now for Bruges to drive horses that is to say for rations and also supply of engineering equipment.

It's sad to see such a thing, all those poor unfortunates already gone and it's not finished yet. Let's hope he comes back as it will be too sad if he doesn't.

Anyway I hope you will give me your news and that of Abel and the cousin and the baby, who must be quite big by now. I don't think cousin Colline has gone yet. 

The whole family join me in sending you a heartfelt hug."

Charlie

Charlie - fantastic, thank you! 

12 hours ago, JWK said:

I *think* it says Troyes (or perhaps Broyes but both Broyes' in France are tiny villages)

Yes, it does seem to be a 'y' rather than 'g' when compared with other examples...

12 hours ago, battle of loos said:

Good evening
I'll do that to you tomorrow.

michel

Yes please, the more the merrier.

One question, though: why no addressee details, given it is stamped and postmarked? 

7 hours ago, grantmal said:

One question, though: why no addressee details, given it is stamped and postmarked? 

The address was often, bizarrely, written across the picture,

Card was written in Berthenay (some 10 kms west of Tours). It had some 300 inhabitants at the time of WW1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berthenay

Florentin Raoul Martin married Alice Marie Augustine Villeret there on 22 april 1901.

https://archives.touraine.fr/ark:/37621/2v1hwmbtd548/8ebc6dae-7b61-450c-93b1-2d0fabc737b3

FlorentinAlice.jpg.28cfc3b03bb9537a31f8f353dcd398ed.jpg

Surely they must be the Florentin and Alice on the card?

Florentin’s birth was recorded in Berthenay on 1st February 1877, and Alice's birth was recorded there on 2nd September 1880.

https://archives.touraine.fr/ark:/37621/7zt0bm8nl24d/7d180b74-d896-4524-95e9-ecaee27dae86

10 minutes ago, JWK said:

Surely they must be the Florentin and Alice on the card?

Agreed. 

He, Florentin, would appear to have survived the war because he is not one of the two Florentin Martin's listed on Mémoire des Hommes as Mort pour la France.

Alice and Florentin are with us again, after all these years. Thanks so much, JWK.

good morning,

Here is the translation

"Dear Cousin
For a long time I have been writing to you to ask you if my cousin Abel has gone to us.
Florentine has been gone for 2 months.
Until now he was always in Angers, but he is leaving these days.
He went to Troyes to drive horses.
that is, to make supplies.
He conducts engineering equipment.
All this is very sad to see such a thing.
all those poor unfortunates who are no longer present. And it's not over, finally we must take courage and hope that he comes back again because I will be very unhappy that everyone will stay there.
Finally I think you will give me news of you as well as that of Abel and the cousin as well as the baby who must already be grown.
I think that cousin Colline(t) should not be gone.
The whole family joins me in embracing you with all my heart.
your cousin who embroiders you.
Aline Martin"

in 1914 :

Angers : 6ème Régiment du Génie

regards

michel

Is this the "Abel" they are talking about on the card? St. Aignan lies to the east of Tours. date of birth seems to tally with Florentin's. Unless ofcourse Alice was talking about a Villeret cousin!?

But anyway: here's Abel Martin, a French soldier in WW1:

AbelMartin.jpg.769d6a12c7311292bdfed2ebdbf3f44f.jpg