Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI OR Service Records

R J Moles

Hi Folks, Does anyone know how long (ball park) the MOD records office in Glasgow are taking to send out WWI other ranks service records? I applied for a WWI other ranks service record on the 25 Jan 2022 and I am still waiting. Their telephone line is continually busy and I wrote to them last August for an update without reply. Thanking you in advance Richard

Edited by R J Moles

• Admin

Can you please provide a bit more background and/or link to a website regarding your query.

The reason why I ask that is because I'm not aware that the MoD have in their possession any WW1 Other Rank Service Records, so I am at a loss to understand what you have ordered, how you have ordered it and from whom you ordered it.

My understanding is that all WW1 Other Rank Service Records were handed over to The National Archives many years ago. These Records have, in turn, been digitised and are offered to view by the Subscription websites Ancestry and FindMyPast.

Regards

Russ

• Admin
4 minutes ago, MaureenE said:

The MoD would still have the record  only if the soldier's service continued past January 1921.

Correct - perhaps that's what the OP actually means.

Russ

My Man 9225 Private John Sheffron served in the Royal Munster Fusiliers and Royal Garrison Artillery during WWI having enlisted about 1909. However he also served in the Royal Engineers for the duration of WWII. So his WWI and WWII service record is without doubt with the MOD in Glasgow!! Richard

1 hour ago, R J Moles said:

However he also served in the Royal Engineers for the duration of WWII.

Thanks, you might have mentioned that in your initial post.

As mentioned above, the surviving records of men with Great War service only, are digitized on Ancestry and FMP.

Men who continued to serve beyond 1921, are the ones who have their records held by the MOD in Glasgow, and these may contain Great War Service records.

But (and it's a big 'but'), the Glasgow records are being transferred to the National Archives at Kew over the next few years, that process has only  got underway in last year or so. Some have arrived at Kew I believe, which ones, I don't know. Likewise, how this all impacts on the copies of the notes you requested.

There are surely three possibilities

If he left the army by 1921, rejoining in say 1939 then it seems that no WW1 service record has survived from the fire that destroyed 60% of records from WW1

If he remained in the army after 1921 but left before WW2 then quite possibly  his records fall in the category mentioned in the post above as it can't be absolutely  certain that those records would be amalgamated with his new records after a later enlistment.

If he served continuously through to WW2 then his original WW1 service records may well be held with his later service.

I can't see him in the 1939 register, so it may well be that his service was continuous.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts

His record is/was with the MOD and this is what the OP has presumably asked to be copied :

ADH001262452    File    1401799    SHEFFRON J    RE    1891-01-11

1401799 should be his post-1921 service number.

It looks like he had RE service at some point. (Edit: I see the OP confirmed that was his WW2 service)

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• 4 weeks later...

Worth the wait ?

37 minutes ago, R J Moles said:

The answer to my original question is 1 year and 15 days. My service record arrived on Friday just past.

Excellent.

Could you tell us if it contains GW & WW2 service history, and what it shows for inter-war service.

54 minutes ago, R J Moles said:

Full WWI service record and Full WWII service record. No inter war service as my man discharged in 1919 and re-enlisted in 1939.

That's good to know.

I always think that they're a special breed.
Having survived the horrors of the Great War, the relief of surviving the war to end all wars, then over time the gradual realisation it was going to happen again.

But to actually sign up to do it all over again takes some doing.

Would you be able to provide a brief outline of his service in boith conflicts? I'm sure it would make fascinating reading.

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Very useful to know. Thanks.

By full, I presume it was weeded nevertheless? How many pages for WW1 did you get?

I've seen about a dozen "Bournemouth" files at Kew, and I've been surprised at the amount of content for these service files in the WO 420 series files. There were no gaps in the service history, which is in stark contrast with the WW1 officer files that are at Kew in the WO 339 and WO 374 series. They covered everything from enlistment up to discharge in 1945.