Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for book titles on NZ PoW's in Turkey

smclaren

Hello All

I am trying to remember the names of a couple of books written by Kiwi's of their time as PoW's in Turkey. Hope someone here can assist with naming them ?

I can only remember vague details of both as its been decades since I first heard of them ... but their stories stuck with me all these years.

One book was called "Guests of the Unspeakable" or something to that affect.

The other book was about a Kiwi soldier who was farmed out as labour to a Turkish family/community. They humanely looked after him until his release at the end of the war. If I remember correctly, the Turkish family was very poor, but still sold their valuables to raise money for the Kiwi to buy passage back to NZ. I think then the children/grandchildren of this NZ soldier returned to Turkey decades later and contributed to the family/community as thanks for the kindness & generosity given to their father/grandfather whilst he was their prisoner. It sounded like a really nice story.

Ive been Googling the hell out of it to try and find the names of these books ... but no dice. Hope someone can help ?

Many thanks as always.

Steve

There is an Australian title Guests of the unspeakable : the odessey of an Australian airman - being a record of captivity and escape in Turkey by T.W. White (1928).

There is a FIBIS Fibiwiki page Prisoners of the Turks (First World War) https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Prisoners_of_the_Turks_(First_World_War)

There are links to  various websites, one of which is https://garriehutchinson.com/2013/01/17/new-zealands-gallipoli-prisoners-of-war/ If you don't receive the information you are looking for, maybe you could contact the owner of that website.

Maureen

Amazing, thanks for your help, Maureen.