Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

73 TS and 28 TDS RFC/RAF

Chalkie Wight

Hi I have tried to research both these Trg Sqns in respect of an Air Mechanic who, according to his service documents, was posted to both these Trg Sqns.  The best I can find are 73 and 28 Op Sqns who initially provided some training before going to France in 1917/18.

I would therefore be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. If you can provide a name, I’m sure that will help the membership in their research. 

20 hours ago, Chalkie Wight said:

Hi I have tried to research both these Trg Sqns in respect of an Air Mechanic who, according to his service documents, was posted to both these Trg Sqns.  The best I can find are 73 and 28 Op Sqns who initially provided some training before going to France in 1917/18.

I would therefore be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Hi

The basic details of these units are contained in 'Flying Training and Support Units since 1912' by Sturtivant and Hamlin, Air-Britain 2007, and 'Flying units of the RAF' by Alan Lake, Airlife 1999.

73 TS:  The former has Formed 7.7.17 out of No. 25 TS at Thetford in 26th Wing;17.7.17 Turnhouse in 30th Wing;20.2.18 Beaulieu in No.8 Group;  Disbanded into No.29 TDS 27.7.18.

Aircraft Examples Camel (B2247);Avro 504A/J (B4297);  1 1/2 Strutter (A6027).  Similar info in second source.

28 TDS:  First source, Formed 27.7.18 ex Nos. 61& 70 Training Squadrons at Weston-on-the-Green in 21st Wing.  Disbanded 3.19.

Aircraft examples Camel (C68);Salamander; Avro 504J/K (F8749).  Again similar information in second source.

Mike