Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Regiment/Corps

Fred W

I thioght that if a man served in more than one regiment and/or corps his medals were engraved with the name of the first regiment he served in.

One of my uncles first enlisted in the Scots Guards in Sept 1914. He served in the Guards Machchine Gun Battalion, the Machine Gun Guards and sometime after May 1918 in the Labour Corps.

I do not have his medals, but his MIC suggests that all three would have been inscribed to the Labour Corps. Although hand written across the top of the MIC is XX S Gds 9865 Pte.

Is my original thinking incorrect, or why should his MIC indicate his medals were inscribed Labour Corps?

Can anyone help?

Fred W

post-2723-1112480415.jpg

The footnote (or in this case header) 'x's usually match to the other 'x's. There is an 'x' against the 1915 Star entry, implying that he qualified for the 1915 Star whilst in the Scots Guards.

This is the card used for those soldiers who were awarded a Silver War Badge after being discharged from duty through illness or injury. Howver, the date of 1919 is quite curious as a date for such action.

Steve.

I thioght that if a man served in more than one regiment and/or corps his medals were engraved with the name of the first regiment he served in.

One of my uncles first enlisted in the Scots Guards in Sept 1914. He served in the Guards Machchine Gun Battalion, the Machine Gun Guards and sometime after May 1918 in the Labour Corps.

I do not have his medals, but his MIC suggests that all three would have been inscribed to the Labour Corps. Although hand written across the top of the MIC is XX S Gds 9865 Pte.

Is my original thinking incorrect, or why should his MIC indicate his medals were inscribed Labour Corps?

Can anyone help?

Fred W

What you actually have is a War Badge Index Card with Medal Index Details added on the Front in the Rubber Stamped "Framework",his medals Would{should}have been impressed Scots Guards{hence the "xx" @ the top which was used to indicate to the Mint Impressers that that unit was to be impressed into the Medals,not Labour Corps,which would have been the last unit he served in prior to being Discharged & receiving the "War Badge"[The Roll Page of which is indicated next to "Action Taken " Header on your Index Card.]

the 1919 date for Discharge & Issue of Badge* is not at all unusual,many thousands of War Wounded & Disabled,would have been discharged after the Armistice,due to their infirmity/Wounds/Sickness or General Debility{providing it was as a result of "Military Service"} & they were no longer fit for such service,once their treatment had been completed.

*The Badge was ,as well as signifying the Recipient & Legal Wearer was an Honourably Discharged Veteran,meant to assist them obtaining suitable Employment & Consideration,in Civilian Life.

Snap! Well, nearly. HarryBettsMCDCM's answer was much better than mine :D (even before he edited it! He obviously shares my bad habit...) :P

Steve

Thanks for the lucid answer to my question. That at least sorts that out. All I have to do know is to be lucky enough to find his medals, if they still exist. For interest I attach a copy from his service record indicating the award of a Silver Badge.

Fred W

post-2723-1112547496.jpg

Wow! That's small!

Save the Service Record as a jpeg rather than a Bitmap and attach it again so we can read it! (max file size is 200kb, more than enough for a decent size jpeg)

Steve

Not a lot :D

I think we have 2 transfer dates? 27-12-14 which is also on your MIC and 6-10-18 ?

Then 2 lines I can't read.

I assume the last one is discharged. Can't read the date.

Can you translate?

Steve.

Steve,

The dates are

Attested 5.9.14

Transferrd to 1st Bn 27.12.14 which is the date he embarked for France

Transferred to 3rd Bn 6.10.15 which is the date he returned to England after receiving a gun shot wound which fractured his right leg at Loos on 28.9.15 Transferred to Guards Machine Gun Coy 26.9.16 the day after he returned to France.

Transferred to 3rd Bn 27. 12 16 The day he embarked to return to England.

Transferred to Gaurds Machine Gun Ben 1 Feb 1917

Embarked for France 17.3.17

21 days punishment for misconduct 23.4.17

Returned to England 2.5.18

Transferred to Labour Corps 543 Agric Coy 9.10.18

He was discharged from and transferred to B Army Reserve on 27.2.19

He was discharged with Bronchtis (30% disablement) and was awarded a pension of 8s 3d in old money from 28.2.19 to be reviewed after 26 weeks.

I think the Branchitis was a result of being gassed whilst in France.

He died in Blackpool Victoria Hospital in Jan 1941 as a result of the gassing.

His story appears in an article called My Family's War published in Nov 2003 issue of The Great War Magazine.

Fred

He certainly seems to have had an "interesting" time in the War.

I suspect that there were a lot more like him where the gas got them in the end. I hope he didn't suffer too badly for all that time...

Thanks for sharing,

Steve.