Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme 2005?

Paul Reed

Took this photo last week, when there was a thick ground fog on the Somme - is it just me that has an erry feeling when looking at this?! I have seen this a few times over the years, but first time I have managed to get it on camera.

post-6-1112477757.jpg

When i see this, sometime i see it at home on Broodseinde ridge, it recalls me a gas attack. Quite strange...

Not really spooky, but.. rather strange.

Took this photo last week, when there was a thick ground fog on the Somme - is it just me that has an erry feeling when looking at this?! I have seen this a few times over the years, but first time I have managed to get it on camera.

Have a photo of Newfoundland Park under heavy fog taken about 5 years ago now, was really bad that day, gave quite a few sheep a fright that day if I remember correctly couldn't see each other coming !!!!

Yes, it has always reminded me of a gas attack, too. Nothing like the weather to give a place atmosphere!

post-6-1112478413.jpg

I once mede soem pics in living history uniform in such weather... that was spooky!

Crater???

Sorry to digress ...

But for those living in area of St. Quentin etc .. March 1918 in mind here ... how bad can the mist be in the rural area? We all know that fog/mist had a big part to play in March 1918 .. anyone live or been in that area when the mist has come down?

I'd lust like to hear some comments.

Paul,

(Was this Friday 25th?)

Funny enough when I did your Courcelette tour last week we started early in the morning at 8.30am in around 50 yards of visibility. A short while later standing at Courcelette British Cemetery looking back at the ground the Canadians advanced over, the sun was burning off the mist and leaving rolling waves of mist gradually coming towards us. Exactly like the pic - it was in tiny clouds a few feet tall - very evocative to say the least.

Nice picture Paul, which crater(?)/wood is that??

Roop

The view is taken on the Courcelette-Martinpuich road, looking towards Pozieres. No craters there, and the trees are a small clump on a track that runs from Pozieres to Martinpuich.

Sorry to digress ...

But for those living in area of St. Quentin etc .. March 1918 in mind here ... how bad can the mist be in the rural area? We all know that fog/mist had a big part to play in March 1918 .. anyone live or been in that area when the mist has come down?

I'd lust like to hear some comments.

The weather there is pretty identical to the Somme; it can be foggy in March, especially in the early morning. Only last week there was thick fog one morning until about 8am.

Paul,

(Was this Friday 25th?)

Funny enough when I did your Courcelette tour last week we started early in the morning at 8.30am in around 50 yards of visibility.  A short while later standing at Courcelette British Cemetery looking back at the ground the Canadians advanced over, the sun was burning off the mist and leaving rolling waves of mist gradually coming towards us.  Exactly like the pic - it was in tiny clouds a few feet tall - very evocative to say the least.

Yes - it was Friday morning as I was on my way to Delville Wood. Glad you enjoyed the Courcelette walk.

Cheers for that! With a little imagination the stormtroopers are coming out of the mist!

Low lying fog or mist can also higlight contours, indicating tactical features such as defilades in a way the 'naked eye' may find more difficult.

Good photo Paul.

S

gave quite a few sheep a fright that day

????? :blink:

Sorry Conor, couldn't help it... :D

Not that far - as mention above, it is just south of the D929 between Courcelette and Martinpuich, very close to a place called le Baillon on maps.