Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

High Wood (on the Somme) - access and visibility of defensive works

delta

I am working up a new battlefield tour around Martinpuich and High Wood

I am aware that High Wood is privately owned and that access is not permitted, I am therefore not going to attempt to "follow the tracks" of Delilah and Clan Ruthven in from the south edge 

I would be grateful if those who have visited the wood recently could let me know if the double crater close to the southeast edge is  now at all visible from the track which runs alongside the wood.   Also whether the location of the Starfish is discernible 

High Wood and Starfish.jpg

About a year since I was last past that way, took the track up the Eastern Edge, very little visible due to the very thick boundary woodland / hedge.

Doug

CCA968B7-1EAC-4E86-9C8F-B1598CDE1105.jpeg

5 hours ago, delta said:

double crater

I was there back in October and would concur with Doug's view.  However, there was still plenty of vegetaion around then.  I will be making a very short visit next month.  If I get the chance I will have a look.  I suspect, however, that it will not be visible.  There were a few gaps in the perimeter - tempting but, as you say, private property.  Can't help with Starfish as didn't get that far.  Nothing discernible of Switch on NE side of the wood.

Hi

During the winter months it is very easy seethe crater from the track along side. These images are from today.

Kind reards

John

image.jpeg.6cbb1499dacc0b887b3aa4be6afc1547.jpeg

image.jpeg.c054f6c2416f982a5a3297c164279f80.jpeg

However, once the vegetation starts growing it does result in a barrier that is very difficult to see through.

In the picture below you will see a 'path', marked by the arrow. which is literally a couple of metres from the pool. Not that I would advocate trespass but I have seen visitors taking a swift look via that gap.

I am sure you would have the other image of the crater, but just in case ...............]

Kind regards

John

image.jpeg.af8b599e16762c91220a3df58dcbbfd0.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a8704b3f4760390605f4e803aae32df.jpeg

1 hour ago, Frajohn said:

These images are from today.

I had a suspicion you might just...  Saves me a job John.

1 hour ago, Frajohn said:

via that gap

Fifth Amendment comes to mind.

Reg

12 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Fifth Amendment comes to mind.

As Bart Simpson was wont to say "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, nobody can prove a thing".........

13 hours ago, Frajohn said:

the other image of the crater

That looks absolutely vast in comparison with today, and the viewpoint seems very high up. Thanks for posting it John.

Pete,

John

Thank you  so much for popping up to the wood

I certainly did not realise the crater was so large - although not quite a big as Lochnagar.

I will mention that it is still full of water and on private land so unwise to enter

Stephen 

On 12/01/2023 at 15:05, 303man said:

Less growth in 1955.

Indeed but also telling that it was lightly covered even though it was 35 years on from the Armistice