Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr 38370 John William Miller RFA

8055Bell

John Miller died on 23/04/1921,aged 40.  Burial at Hollinwood Cemetery.  Dependents pension refused as disease was contracted after discharge.

Not sure what to add.

If that was the case then why do you feel he is a possible non-com? Or are you just making the point that he has been looked at? 

Charlie 

Ps one of his pension cards has been transcribed by Fold3 with all sorts of other units but I see no trace on the card. Very odd.

Edited by charlie962

Hi Charlie,

In many respects I'm doing these posts to see the number of servicemen who are buried at Hollinwood in the qualifying period, yet not commemorated. Some do not fit the criteria (agreed) but quite a few may, if we had full records.  It's a bit of a study really and I posted John MIller to be comprehensive.

Ultimately I'm hunting the Manchesters non-coms and I hit the jackpot with 9384 Job Leach from my Grandad's 17th Bn at Hollinwood.  It's all a bit fanciful but I have spoken with someone who may have spoken with one of the new commemorations I'm hoping will come through.

Tim

On 09/01/2023 at 19:51, charlie962 said:

Ps one of his pension cards has been transcribed by Fold3 with all sorts of other units but I see no trace on the card. Very odd.

https://www.fold3.com/image/702856725?filmstrip=true&terms=miller,38370 

I'm afraid those other units appear to be an incorrect/misleading figment of the imagination of the Fold3 transcriber - not just very odd = very frustrating [but of course they came from the Ancestry stable of transcribing so I guess the same level of errors will likely occur] :(

Has now been reindexed as Royal Field Artillery so searches should pick up as such

M

57 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Has now been reindexed as Royal Field Artillery so searches should pick up as such

Was it something you said?

I've given up notifying errors to Ancestry and Findmypast because they just say I'm wrong.

Just now, charlie962 said:

Was it something you said?

I've given up notifying errors to Ancestry and Findmypast because they just say I'm wrong.

No, something I did via WFA!

Sadly only a drop in the ocean with 6+m cards and the ledgers and all the indexing fields that could be entered/searchable - if only the info had originally been entered and done so correctly.  Hey, ho!

Have been engaged in a WFA project so I have editing rights for the indexing and can change/update/add to some of the indexing/field tags - personally at something over 20K field entries changed/added to date so hopefully searches will be a bit better for the future - I never view/leave a card or ledger without checking [some other WFA members have similarly individually done over 50K, 100K etc. :thumbsup:]

Thanks to WFA the resource is so much better than nothing and has been a great asset in opening up so much more about so many men's service :)

And ... thanks to WFA project initiatives started/implemented at WFA level and its volunteer members many new fields have been populated, e.g. addresses at 'town' level, and corrections made = so the resource has beeen imporving and will continue to improve. :):)

WFA members can report to WFA and indirectly get errors changed made via https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfh6H5V-o3XDBJtpOXyOBqdguHAIGDV5xT8h-ltc0_SNZJsHQ/viewform :):):)

All 'transcriptions' are only used as fields/ 'tags' for searching - they aren't transcriptions as such - and members should also be able to annotate cards with comments etc. - these annotations are also included in searchable results. :):):):)

= Well done WFA and all its members who have got so involved. :):):):):).

M

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

Well done WFA and all its members who have got so involved.

Yes. Very well done. This new resource alone justifies membership before even thinking about all the other more traditional benefits.

Charlie