The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

How do I get info on AIF casualty from UK?

cartoss

Any help with this one appreciated. On war memorial in Fishlake Churchyard near Doncaster, S Yorks is a name that I would like to investigate. Tpr WP WASLIN Aust LH Age 22. I assume he emigrated and joined the Light Horse, declaring parents in his home village as NOK. Being one of the village sons, his name added to memorial when it was built. I know it is assuming a lot, but IF he is a Gallipoli casualty it would be great to get the vicar to put him in the parish magazine. Thanks in advance.

Should have loked at CWGC site first. Details from there. Waslin, William Pickard. Trooper, No965. Died 12/11/15 age 22. Australian Light Horse, Nationality Australian, Grave ref ID4 Shell Green Cemetry.

Edited by cartoss

His service record will be available from the Australian archives. Look the Archives up on-line, you should be able to find your man and order a copy. I did it for three men a couple of years ago, took about two months to come thorugh the post, a thick pile of paper, and total cost was something stupid like £20.

Number: 965

Unit: 7th Light Horse

Service: Army

Conflict: 1914-1918

Date of Death: 12/11/1915

Place of Death:

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Memorial Panel: 6

Cemetery or Memorial Details: GALLIPOLI 22. Shell Green Cemetery

Next Of Kin:

Place Of Enlistment: Wagga Wagga, NSW

Native Place:

Notes: WASLIN, Tpr. William Pickard, 965. 7th Light Horse. Killed in action 12th Nov., 1915. Age 22. Son of George and Ann Waslin, of Manor Farm, Rawcliffe, Yorks, England. I. D. 4.

Source: AWM145 Roll of Honour cards, 1914-1918 War, Army

see also

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/awm131/051/051501.pdf

NoK given as Father, George Waslin, in Fishlake, Doncaster,, Yorkshire.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for this chaps.

Regards Jamie.

National Archives in Canberra is digitising all AIF WW1 service records, but they're doing it in alphabetical order, as well as very common names (Smith, Jones, Williams, etc). Last I heard, I think they were up to about the 'L' names.

Trooper Waslin's headstone in Shell Green cemetery bears the epitaph:

Until We Meet Again

Having got an AIF set of records for my granny's uncle Jo, I can assure you that they are well worth what you pay - I think it came to about £6 allowing for currency changing for 30-odd sheets of archive-grade paper in a folder with explanatory notes. Even with the notes some of his service was described in unintelligible heiroglyphics, which I had to find an expert to translate but...

Best of all, there was enough supporting information to let me track down his fate in 2001, 82 years after he'd returned to Oz and never been heard from again!

Oh, and he was at Gallipoli too! (OK, a September reinforcement, but it's impressed a couple of Aussies being awkward in a pub before now....

Adrian

In Memory of

Trooper WILLIAM PICKARD WASLIN

965, 7th, Australian Light Horse

who died age 22

on 12 November 1915

Son of George and Ann Waslin, of Manor Farm, Rawcliffe, Yorks, England.

Remembered with honour

SHELL GREEN CEMETERY

In Memory of

Trooper WILLIAM PICKARD WASLIN

Hope the attachment works okay as it is part of a certificate you can print.

Having got an AIF set of records for my granny's uncle Jo, I can assure you that they are well worth what you pay - I think it came to about £6 allowing for currency changing for 30-odd sheets of archive-grade paper in a folder with explanatory notes. Even with the notes some of his service was described in unintelligible heiroglyphics, which I had to find an expert to translate but...

Best of all, there was enough supporting information to let me track down his fate in 2001, 82 years after he'd returned to Oz and never been heard from again!

Oh, and he was at Gallipoli too! (OK, a September reinforcement, but it's impressed a couple of Aussies being awkward in a pub before now....

Adrian

post-6161-1112702269.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi I saw on old post of yours and wondered if this attachment was of any use. It`s from the Doncaster Chronicle 17th December 1915

post-31274-093896600 1290603309.jpeg

He was one of four brother who served, you can get there records for free from here, (login as guest)

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/

B2455 WASLIN THOMAS WASLIN Thomas : Service Number - 967 : Place of Birth - Selby England : Place of Enlistment - Liverpool NSW : Next of Kin - (Father) WASLIN George

Access status: Open Location: Canberra 1914 - 1920 8375331

B2455 WASLIN WILLIAM PICKARD WASLIN William Pickard : Service Number - 965 : Place of Birth - Selby England : Place of Enlistment - Liverpool NSW : Next of Kin - (Father) WASLIN George

Access status: Open Location: Canberra 1914 - 1920 8375332

B2455 WASLIN GEORGE WASLIN George : Service Number - 1035 : Place of Birth - Selby England : Place of Enlistment - Liverpool NSW : Next of Kin - (Father) WASLIN George

Access status: Open Location: Canberra 1914 - 1920 8375377

B2455 WASLIN ANDREW WASLIN Andrew : Service Number - 968 : Place of Birth - Selby England : Place of Enlistment - Liverpool NSW : Next of Kin - (Father) WASLIN G

Or, slightly more straightforwardly, via http://mappingouranzacs.naa.gov.au/list-name.aspx?name=waslin