Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

After the King's Shilling

Robert H

I've always had a fascination for WWI after I heard that my great grandfather served.  This has prompted me to read and research more about it, but one thing has always confused me a little.

When soldiers went to recruitment halls to sign up, once they took the oath and shilling, were they then immediately marched into the army? or were they allowed to go home, inform loved ones and collect their belongings?

Also, I understand that the first intake of volunteers trained longer than the later intakes, as they needed to shorten training to get the soldiers into war. So, what leave would a soldier be entitled to prior to leaving for Europe?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and help

Robert

Robert, welcome to the forum.

Quick answers to your questions...

Recruitment methods changed as the war progressed. It's a fascinating area of research. 

Typically up to October 1915, once attested at the recruiting office, the recruit would have been required to report to a Regimental depot which is most likely within a couple of days. If required, he would have been given a rail warrent to travel to the location of the depot.

Attesting under the Derby Scheme is a different animal, I suggest you look up the Derby Scheme on the website Long Long Trail.

Then you have conscription. Typically a month's notice was given upon call up.

Before being posted overseas, the soldier usually had 4 days home leave. 

If you provide details of your GGF, I'm sure experts on this forum will be able to guide you as to the likely circumstances under which he enlisted.

16 hours ago, Alan24 said:

Robert, welcome to the forum.

Quick answers to your questions...

Recruitment methods changed as the war progressed. It's a fascinating area of research. 

Typically up to October 1915, once attested at the recruiting office, the recruit would have been required to report to a Regimental depot which is most likely within a couple of days. If required, he would have been given a rail warrent to travel to the location of the depot.

Attesting under the Derby Scheme is a different animal, I suggest you look up the Derby Scheme on the website Long Long Trail.

Then you have conscription. Typically a month's notice was given upon call up.

Before being posted overseas, the soldier usually had 4 days home leave. 

If you provide details of your GGF, I'm sure experts on this forum will be able to guide you as to the likely circumstances under which he enlisted.

Thank you Alan, that's helpful!