Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Pin , possibly French ?

john ring

Hello guys & gals . I recently bought a French I.D . bracelet and what the seller claimed is a " French Tent Pin " . I have tried to research this some more , but so far have come up empty handed . I have done my best to get a clear picture , but my photo skills are poor at best ! Details as follows .... 13 cm long , 3 cm at widest point . Stamped on pin is the numbers 442 . written above that in red ink " Bonnard " possibly a surname ? . The seller said that it was a pin to " fashion a crude cover ( in foul weather ) using the soldiers ground sheet , and the pin to secure it over and around the soldier " Can any of you wise members of the forum , either confirm this , or have you any ideas of your own ? . I would also like to research the owner of the id bracelet ... Albert Guille 1908 , on the reverse Dijon 1087 . Are there any French soldier records i can search ? and have any members done so ? Any help or suggestions will be most appreciated ! THANK YOU !!!

french pin 1.JPG

french pin 2.JPG

french pin 3.JPG

french pin 4.JPG

french pin 5.JPG

3 hours ago, john ring said:

The seller said that it was a pin to " fashion a crude cover ( in foul weather ) using the soldiers ground sheet , and the pin to secure it over and around the soldier " 

Perhaps.  However I'd offer it may well be a numbered laundry bag safety pin.  There are a lot of similar 5"/6" tags/pins of US military origin out there identified as laundry bag tags ......... and the occasional UK colliery or hospital example.

Edited by TullochArd

Thank you TULLOCHARD , for your reply . Yours is a very valid suggestion , and most likely to be the correct option ! However , with the addition of the name in red ink " BONNARD ", A VERY French sounding surname , suggests to me it has been personalised by a individual , and used for another purpose , or the use told to me when sold . I will keep my options open

good evening,

I send you PM for the dog tag.

regards

michel