Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postwar (1928) issued Croix de Guerre Certificate for 1918 action

4thGordons

I know very little about medals and hope someone can tell me what I just bought! 

It appears to be a post war (replacement?) certificate for a Croix de Guerre originally awarded to an American Ambulance man in late 1918. I have seen original cdg certificates issued at the time and they are different so I was wondering if this was a replacement or an individualized certificate for what might have been a unit citation? I have yet to investigate the details of the award as I only got this a couple of hours ago.

1704689553_cdgcertificate.jpg.570d54e9c3e3cf6c62265a791413841f.jpg

Sorry about the poor picture it is in a damaged and dirty frame and the certificate is itself a little faded. I will transcribe it to the best of my ability below as I am still working out if I want to keep it as is or remove clean/repair and then replace, or just reframe. The medal is just leant upon the outside of the frame

REPUBLIQUE               FRANCAISE

MINISTERE                  de la GUERRE

Croix de Guerre

Loi du 8 Avril 1915

La Ministre de la Guerre certifie que JOSEPH DK McLEES (formerly private, first class, Section No 515 Ambulance Service American Expeditionary Force)

a obetnu la Croix de Guerre pour Citation a L'ordre du regiment

(Ordre No.11.648 "D" Le 17 Novembre 1918 GQG Armees Francaises du Nord et du Nord-Est)

Au cours de la compagne 1914-18 contre L'Allemagne et ses Allies

Fait a Paris le 1 Mars 1928

Vu et enregistre au

Ministere de la Guerre

sous le N: EU 616

Thanks in advance

Chris