Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

burial returns

Steve_McGarry

I am looking for details of a chap I believe to be buried in Regina Trench Cemetery..

Albert Barker was KIA 24th August 1918 and belonged to 15th Bn. Durham Light Infantry. At Regina Trench there are several graves of soldiers belonging to this Bn including a Sam Gelsthorpe. 19 men of the 15th who died that day have no known grave and two others are buried elsewhere. There are a few DLI unknowns in the cemetery but most have no regiment..... What info will the burial return's give me... ie will it tell me when and where the unknowns were picked up?

The returns give varying information.

They usually give the location of where the casualty was found by a map ref. They also have other info such as items found with the body - cap badge or other indentifying item or clothing.

They also state whether a cross was on the grave or not and whether any effects had been forwarded for returning to n-o-k.

There is a sample image of a burial return at www.cwgc.co.uk in their story about John Condon (NOTE: This is NOT a CWGC site).

Terry

How would someone go about arranging to check burial returns for a particular location that was cleared after the war? I am interesting in trying to find out details on the bodies recovered from what was Bart's Alley cemetery, which was close to a forward medical post in Bart's Alley trench in the Hohenzollern Redoubt sector. I have several reports of men of 137th Staffordshire Brigade being buried around here by the Guards Division a few days after 13th October 1915, including some trench map references for the location of graves, but don't know who to contact to see if it is possible to check this information.

Cheers

Andrew

Contact CWGC on casualty.enq@cwgc.org

Their records are not open to the public but they will provide info if they can and sometimes are willing to allow you to go to view the returns by appointment.