Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Francis Thomas Courtney RFC/RAF

Perth Digger

If anyone has access to Courtney's Flight Path (1971), I'd be grateful if you could check for me whether he served for a short time with 70 Squadron in March 1917. According to Airhistory data, he appears to have been posted there but was quickly re-posted back to 45 Squadron.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

A single para re 70 Squadron appears on page 103 of Flight Path:

In March I was promoted to captain and sent as flight commander to No. 70 Squadron, which also had Sopwiths. I arrived at Vert Galand to be told that three of the six planes of my new command had gone out that morning and had not returned, Except for flying over different territory, life in No. 70 was much the same as in No. 45; the two squadrons shared the title of Suicide Club, although there was some debate as to which of them offered the shorter life expectancy. I was not long in No. 70 before I found myself back in No 45, in command of “8" Flight.

Cheers,

Errol

No 70 Squadron lost three 1½ Strutters on 24 March 1917 in a combat between Douai and Cambrai, Capt Arthur Gerald Saxty (Ok) & Lieut Harold Forrester Duncan (Wia; dow 29-Mar-17) being shot down in A956, Capt William Howard Costello (Pow) & Lieut Henry Stanley Whiteside (Pow) in A1907 and Capt Allan Maxwell Lowery (Wia; Dow) & Lieut George William Swann (Kia) in A957.  I can't see that they suffered any casualties 13 to 16 March 1917.

Graeme

• 9 months later...

I've just been browsing my old threads and have come across this, with my failure to thank Busterfield, Errol and Graeme for their input. Inexcusable by me. Very sorry, gentlemen.

Mike