Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did waterproof pouches exist in May 1915 and.....

kerry

....would private soldiers have them or only if privately purchased, if they existed at all, then?

Thanks in advance....

Edited by kerry
Spelling typos

Thanks to FMPast.

Many other refs. in papers.

Chichester Observer 08 December 1915

image.png.e659aeb18190655a8f11e470956450c9.png

Wow, good evidence there. Thank you.

Mills webbing was nominally a waterproof product with treatment of the spun yarn prior to weaving. In practice of course water could relatively easily enter the ammunition pouch pockets and the WW2 P1937 ammunition pouches were much better designed to keep the contents dry.

As a soldier in the 1970s I was issued a waterproof "wallet", a pouch to hold documents and anything that had to be kept dry. I suspect that the design had not changed since the Boer War, or possibly the Crimean War. A treated canvas pocket that contaminated anything put into it (and still did not successfully keep things dry). An utter waste of time.  

Many thanks for the info Chasemuseum. I remember the 58 pattern webbing well. 

16 hours ago, kerry said:

....would private soldiers have them or only if privately purchased, if they existed at all, then?

Thanks in advance....

There was quite a lot of use of oil skin for making waterproof articles at the lower end of the market, whereas rubberised items (including proprietary ‘Mackintosh’ items) were more expensive due to the cost of importing rubber.  https://www.mackintosh.com/re/brand-story
There are numerous accounts of objects being wrapped in, or lined with oilskin.  Note mentions of “waterproof envelope” for poncho below.

13902F7B-C1D0-47C8-89D7-AEAA74C7C60F.jpeg

0EF2E208-AD74-4F19-9CFA-E8780AA5C018.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks Frogsmile - really useful info.

When I was in the Army in the 70's waterproofing priorities for private soldiers absolutely focussed on fags and matches but the advent of poly bags had long since solved that perennial wet season problem experienced by earlier generations of soldiers. 

Prior to this recycled tobacco tins (a most useful bit of kit), home made waxed cloth/oilskin inventions and bits of old capes/ponchos re-modelled to suit were commonly seen and used.  Great War period commercial products centered on an "accessories industry (that) sprang up to support smokers at the Front.  Match manufacturers, Bryant & May advertised their 'war specialities' including a "service" match-box  cover and "service" match-tin to keep the striking surface dry in all weathers.  Silver and Edgington of Eastcheap, London, suggested their watertight cigarette and tobacco box for keeping smokes dry at the front while Charles Packer of Regent Street sold a lighter with a wind shield." 

These were absolutely not for the average bloke.......the 1915 FFD (and onwards) had a waterproof inner that was  also fag packet size......

FFD 1915.jpeg

Edited by TullochArd

4 hours ago, TullochArd said:

that was also fag packet size.

did not realize that. An excellent piece of design.

For us the rubberized canvas pouch that covered the tail fins of the 3-inch mortar bomb were a treasured possession.

I recall I had a private purchase cover of sorts for later Field Service Pocket Book at one time.  I would also think that the Pay Book must have been a nightmare to keep dry.

Edited by TullochArd
Pocket Book not Hand Book

My ASC Driver Private Nurse has a waterproof pouch / envelop to keep his transport orders dry. Drivers were of course regularly stopped by Military Police to check their orders, so many thousands would have been held by ASC and possibly other drivers (RA, RGA, RE).

Edited by Gunner Bailey