Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Everyman at War: Sixty Personal Narratives Of Fighting By All Ranks On Land Sea And Air During The Great War

WilliamRev

I have heard mention of the above book by C.B. Purdom, published in 1930, which contains 60 short (less than 3000 words) memoirs of the war. I have never come across this before. Has anyone here read it, and is it any good?

Thanks, William

Edited by WilliamRev

29 minutes ago, WilliamRev said:

I have heard mention of the above book by C.B. Purdom, published in 1930, which contains 60 short (less than 3000 words) memoirs of the war. I have never come across this before. Has anyone here read it, and is it an good?

Thanks, William

B7AB93A9-E0C4-4F8E-A227-7CF7DA0A4AB3.jpeg.c079c56145e7cec4978edba6df7c25b7.jpeg

A superb collection. One of the earliest such books covering all areas of conflict. Includes the service details of each of the contributors most of whom were previously unpublished.

Thanks DJC for your encouragement - I have ordered a copy. Thanks also Charlie962 - although I had already spotted this bargain price, others may find it of interest. Pen and Sword have some good bargains in their Winter Sale.

William

On 04/01/2023 at 21:59, johntaylor said:

A later edition of the same book is available to borrow on Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/onfrontlinetruew0000unse/mode/2up

John

I'll go for that one!! 

Buying from N&M Press or P&S in the UK is a logistical nightmare and costs me a lot in shipping and ... thank you BREXIT ... in taxes !!! 

EDIT: this later edition is also available in a 2009 edition, now in Europe for 3.99€ on Kindl or 11.50€ for real on Amazon. 

M.

Edited by Marilyne

There’s a nice original copy in its jacket on ABE for £75.