Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 RAF Records, Deciphering Abbreviations - Help Greatly Appreciated!

Lob

Good Afternoon all,

Hoping for a little help in deciphering my Grandfather's RAF service 1918-1920.

He was an Irishman who joined the Regular RAF in October 1918 (the day before his 18th birthday), he then transferred to the RAF Reserve in 1919 and then he left the RAF in 1920.

First Question: His initial unit is described as "RD (H)", would that be - Recruit Depot (Home)? That's if it is actually a H after the RD... He was from County Tipperary. Would he have stayed in Ireland, or does the H refer to a UK mainland base?

Final Question: His next unit is described as "9 S of A" (I think!) although, the other less clearer transcriptions could read differently, could be "9 S of T" looking at the others? I presumed this was No. 9 School of Aviation or a school or recruit training? Would anyone be able to tell me where that is/was?

He was listed as occupation - Labourer. I have tried matching up with RAF schools listed online, but they mostly point to schools that existed in WWII rather than WWI, so I'm still confused to whether I'm reading this correctly. Hoping that some of you more knowledgeable could help me? I would greatly appreciate your comments - always good to get some fresh eyes on your research!

Kind regards.

Record - Colour Inverted.png

Record.png

Hi

No 9 School of Aeronautics was based at Wantage Hall, Reading until late October 1918 when it was moved to Cheltenham. It was later known as No 9 School of Instruction and was disbanded in early 1919.

Steve

That's great Steve, thank you.

The dates also add up as well. My Grandfather got there early Oct 1918 so may have been at Reading then moved to Cheltenham. He was then transferred to the RAF Reserve 7 Mar 1919 - maybe as a result of the disbandment and the drawdown of personnel post-War.

Steve, do you have any online references I could look at for No. 9 school at Reading? I can only find references to No. 1 school.

12 minutes ago, hmsk212 said:

Hi

No 9 School of Aeronautics was based at Wantage Hall, Reading until late October 1918 when it was moved to Cheltenham. It was later known as No 9 School of Instruction and was disbanded in early 1919.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

He was 307569 John O'Brien - I have his 2-page service record from AIR 79 (Roll: 47393_AIR79-2671) Pg 63 & 64 which is where the above excerpts are clipped from.

Hi

I see he joined on his 18th Birthday. The No 9 School of Aeronautics was for training observers and your grandfather most likely helped maintain the place. He was discharged from the Oswestry Dispersal Centre in Feb 1919.

Steve