Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex Regiment battle patches?

BabaAndrew

I am looking for information on battle patches worn by the Middlesex Regiment.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciated!

Just now, BabaAndrew said:

I am looking for information on battle patches worn by the Middlesex Regiment.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciated!

Which battalion(s) are you interested in?

8 minutes ago, BabaAndrew said:

All battalions.

They varied depending upon which ‘formations’ (brigade and division) that the battalion’s were a part of.  A postal survey with commanding officers was carried out at the end of the war and details collected.  In recent decades there have been some publications laying the results out.  Broadly speaking the battalion’s can be divided into three types, Regular, Territorial Force, and War Service (i.e. Kitchener Volunteer).  I can look up the first and last for you (but not TF) if you indicate a particular unit, and other forum members often have data to assist too.  It isn’t really feasible to cover one regiment (of all battalions) in a single answer here. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 minutes ago, BabaAndrew said:

I will try to narrow down the battalion.

In the meantime, is there a recommended source for identification of battle patches?

I recommend the books published by Pen & Sword and authored by David Bilton.  A good introduction to the subject is an Osprey Publication by Mike Chappell, but it is not a fully comprehensive coverage of the wide range of insignia worn.  The Pen and Sword books are excellent, well explained and profusely illustrated.

31 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I recommend the books published by Pen & Sword and authored by David Bilton.  A good introduction to the subject is an Osprey Publication by Mike Chappell, but it is not a fully comprehensive coverage of the wide range of insignia worn.  The Pen and Sword books are excellent, well explained and profusely illustrated.

Thank you for the pointers!

I have the Osprey publication, but - as you say - it only takes you so far.  I will check for the book(s) by David Bilton.

4 minutes ago, BabaAndrew said:

Thank you for the pointers!

I have the Osprey publication, but - as you say - it only takes you so far.  I will check for the book(s) by David Bilton.

His third book (TF) is due in 2023 all being well.  

34 minutes ago, BabaAndrew said:

First two books now ordered!

You won’t be disappointed.

This publication is based on the 1917 IWM survey Frogsmile referred to. Many collectors don’t like it’s format but I would say e ssential if you are into Great War battle insignia. I can look up the Middlesex when I am back at home next week

https://militarymodepublishing.com/shop.php?code=20005

On 04/01/2023 at 22:50, mark holden said:

This publication is based on the 1917 IWM survey Frogsmile referred to. Many collectors don’t like it’s format but I would say e ssential if you are into Great War battle insignia. I can look up the Middlesex when I am back at home next week

https://militarymodepublishing.com/shop.php?code=20005

That would be greatly appreciated!

Hello there

I would also recommend this small booklet-Infantry Divisions: Identification Schemes 1917 by Mike Hibberd with illustrations from Gary Gibbs , available here-Shop - Books, Special Numbers & Binder - Military Historical Society

Includes patches for all battalions of the Middlesex Regt- Regular, TA, and  New Army units.

Getting all of the books mentioned above should make you make you into an instant expert on patches!

William

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2023 at 22:06, caladonia said:

Hello there

I would also recommend this small booklet-Infantry Divisions: Identification Schemes 1917 by Mike Hibberd with illustrations from Gary Gibbs , available here-Shop - Books, Special Numbers & Binder - Military Historical Society

Includes patches for all battalions of the Middlesex Regt- Regular, TA, and  New Army units.

Getting all of the books mentioned above should make you make you into an instant expert on patches!

William

Thanks William!

I will try the first two books and see how far that takes me.  I am happy to become an expert over time ;)