Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leuze Wood, 167th Brigade, Sept '16

Ian Underwood

Hi

As part of my ongoing research into the 1/8th Middlesex I have these two reports of what I think are the same action on 11/9/16 at Leuze Wood by the 1/8th Mddx. The first is from the Official History and the second is an attachment scanned from Wyrall (thanks Dave). Wyrall is obviously talking about the 11 Sept attacks, but I can't be so sure of the OH, as there appear to be quite a few conflicting details.

thoughts or comments anyone, am I barking up the wrong tree here?

thanks...Ian.

“...air reports gave the (XIV) corps commander a more accurate idea of the situation upon the right of the Guards, where... very few troops had penetrated beyond the first objective. Lord Cavan, therefore, cancelled the 1.30pm attack, and just before 2 pm informed the 6th Division that Straight Trench must be attacked from the north at 7.30pm after an hour's bombardment by the heavy artillery. The troops of the 6th Division, which had been ordered to deliver the afternoon, attack were stopped in time; but the 167th Brigade, on the immediate right of that division, was unable to get orders to the 1/8th Middlesex. This battalion, which had great difficulty in moving forward to Leuze Wood over a heavily shelled area, endeavoured to attack at 1.40pm through the 1/1st London and 1/7th Middlesex, but lost heavily to no purpose, and was eventually withdrawn to Leuze Wood. The attack was checked by help of the 21st Bavarian (Division) (left of the 5th Bavarian Division)”.

post-896-1112449176.jpg

Hi Ian

I am sure the OH report is the attack on 15th Sept. I think the 6th Div. did not come on to the seen until the 13th, takeing over line between Leuze Wood and Ginchy. Straight trench was one of its objetives on the 15th Sept. but they failed to take it on the 15th but took it on the 18th.

Annette

I am sure the OH report is the attack on 15th Sept. I think the 6th Div. did not come on to the seen until the 13th, takeing over line between Leuze Wood and Ginchy. Straight trench was one of its objetives on the 15th Sept. but they failed to take it on the 15th but took it on the 18th.

The original date I was given on the OH report was Sept the 17th, but you can see from Wyrall that the 1/8th was relieved and returned to billets on this date. Then I was told it was the 11th. You would think that if the attack with the 6th Division was on the 15th it would rate a mention in Wyrall.

To make thing a liitle more confusing the subject of my research was wounded by shapnal on the 17th sept. Going by the original report it made perfect sense, wounded whilst forging ahead with pointless attack etc, but now it would appear he copped some shrapnal whilst the battalion was leaving the line and heading back to billets.

Ian

Ian.

the 1/8th Middlesex's entire Somme Battle according to Ray Westlake's "British Battalions on the Somme", ...

Dave.

post-357-1112485332.jpg

Annette, Dave.

It looks certain the Ofiicial History excerpt was for the actions of the 15th Sept. Thanks for your help with this. It all helps my research and I wouldn't have been any wiser without your assistance.

Ian.

The original date I was given on the OH report was Sept the 17th, but you can see from Wyrall that the 1/8th was relieved and returned to billets on this date.  Then I was told it was the 11th. You would think that if the attack with the 6th Division was on the 15th it would rate a mention in Wyrall.

The activities of the 1/7th and 1/8th Middlesex on and preceding 15th September are covered in detail by Wyrall. Your quote covering the 11th September is from page 299. Pages 300-307 cover the Battle of Flers-Courcelette of which the 15th September action is part. The actions of the 167th Brigade are covered on pages 300-305. Wyrall gives the date of withdrawal to Maltz Horn trenches as the 19th September.