Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier 6th Dorsetshire

tom compton

Granddad, Edgar Blyton Tristram joined up in 1884 as a drummer boy (no 1102) 1st battallion Dorset regiment ,discharged 1896 at Bangalore. Joining th Royal Service Reserves 1900-1901(no1859) Rejoined 1901-1903 1st Battalion Royal Garrison regiment ( no 1929) . Re-enlisted 1903 -1908 Reserve division Malitia County of Dorset (no 4678)

Joined 6th Dorsetshire1914 training near Wareham, Dorset, going to France 1915. Killed in Arras by a long range shell 13.04.1917 with a comrade John Wilkes.

Can anyone help with photos of him or his regiments or bandsman/drummer boys on !st Battallion Dorsets 1884 1896 ? All photos were distroyed when the familyhome was bombed in the 2nd world war.

Have not been able to locate any photos of him whatsoever.

Tom,

The 1st Bn Dorsetshire Regt is my passion, so your post is of great interest to me.

I have done a few cursory checks, ie WO 67/16, which simply gives his surname, 1st Bn., and shows his rank as Boy. His militia attestation will not appear in WO 96 as this covers the period 1862-1901. My records show that his RGR enlistment also does not appear in WO 96/1513, but this could in fact be in error, as his enlistment is in the time frame of the records (1901-07) and my records are only for enlistments directly from the Dorset Regt.

And coincidentally I have the QSA/1914 star trio and death plaque to 6240 Pte John Wilks, who, as you say, was killed alongside your Granddad.

As for photos I do not think I have anything but will see what I can find.

Regards

Steve

Tom,

The 1st Bn Dorsetshire Regt is my passion, so your post is of great interest to me.

I have done a few cursory checks, ie WO 67/16, which simply gives his surname, 1st Bn., and shows his rank as Boy. His militia attestation will not appear in WO 96 as this covers the period 1862-1901. My records show that his RGR enlistment also does not appear in WO 96/1513, but this could in fact be in error, as his enlistment is in the time frame of the records (1901-07) and my records are only for enlistments directly from the Dorset Regt.

And coincidentally I have the QSA/1914 star trio and death plaque to 6240 Pte John Wilks, who, as you say, was killed alongside your Granddad.

As for photos I do not think I have anything but will see what I can find.

Regards

Steve