Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help tracing my great grandfather Thomas Arthur Clark

TAClark

Hi, first post so apologies if I’ve made any mistakes.

I am trying to assist my father in tracing any information on my great grandfather who served in the RFC then the RAF as a pilot.

Thomas Arthur Clark born 1899

Service Number 128461

We know he stayed on past the war in the RAF until 1928. The National Archives only have a basic document which my father believes is his original signing on record, unfortunately it appears any other records were lost in a fire during WW2. This was under reference AIR 79.

I remember being told stories of his involvement in Zeebrugge attacks aswell as attacks on an u-boat during the war. I believe he flew a Sopwith, possibly a camel. 

Any help tracing information would be greatly appreciated. 

AIR-76-89-18.pdf

28FACBC1-2E3B-4D59-97D9-08CF22FA680A.jpeg.139d8f4c914aa954fd0eae72cbd3508e.jpeg

Edited by TAClark
Added document

Hi

If you look at his Air79 file it shows he joined the RFC on 27th Feb 1918 and became a pilot learner. I am afraid that the tales of daring do, DFC, 6 kills in a matter of 12 days, Zeebrugge etc are just complete fantasy. There is no way just 2 and a half months after joining that he was a qualified pilot, an officer and carrying out solo missions against U Boats. He was not commissioned until 20th Jan 1919.

Name: Thomas Arthur Clark. | The National Archives (Air79 available via Find my Past)

Cadet Thomas Arthur CLARK Royal Flying Corps. | The National Archives  (Officer / Cadet File only available at the National Archives)

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

3 hours ago, TAClark said:

We know he stayed on past the war in the RAF until 1928. The National Archives only have a basic document which my father believes is his original signing on record, unfortunately it appears any other records were lost in a fire during WW2. This was under reference AIR 79.

Hi @TAClark and welcome to the forum.:)

If he stayed in the armed forces after 1920 then his records would have been retained by the Ministry of Defence - they were not in the London Warehouse in WW2 that was burnt out by German bombs.

I take it you have been able to confirm the date of birth on the AIR79 for 128461 Thomas Arthur Clark is the same one as for your Great Grandfathers?

Similarly the address for his father - that Clark family were already living at 88 Chichester Road, Leytonstone on the 1911 Census of England & Wales.

1863572512_ThomasArthurClark1911CensusofEandWsourcedGenesReunitedcrop.jpg.92e4a9b2448afc2cd3b40ca3ea37633c.jpg

Image courtesy Genes Reunited.

But have you checked that out via the 1921 Census of England & Wales available on FindMyPast to see what the family make up was then, (i.e. does it include that Thomas Arthur) or if you can find Thomas in the armed forces - the census covered them at their locations around the globe. You can purchase individual census returns rather than have to subscribe to the whole thing.

Once you're sure of the correct date of birth you could consider applying to the Ministry of Defence for a copy of your great grandfathers records. I've never done it myself, but from what I've read on the forum, as he would be over 110 years old, the MoD aren't so insistant on a death certificate, and are a bit looser in their interpretation of next of kin. Similarly while reports of a wait of a year or more are not uncommon, I've also seen some members saying the RAF ones come back quicker.

The MoD is currently in the process of transferring all the records they still hold for men born before the end of 1900 to the National Archive, who have then sold the image rights to FindMyPast. At some time they will appear on that website, but it is unlikely to be anytime soon.

It does cost, but if you're interested the process for getting a copy from the Ministry of Defence is set out here - https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typos

Agreed with the above: some/most airmen who served long-term in the RAF do not have released records (though strangely some slipped through the net). I have been successful in requesting records and I have to say it's worth the effort. 

Good luck!

He was granted an Honorary Commission as 2nd Lt on 20th Jan 1919, gazetted on 29th Aug 1919 :-

Page 10898 | Issue 31527, 29 August 1919 | London Gazette | The Gazette

His Commission is in the name T A Clarke but the RAF Service Number of 128461 is correct.

The date of 20th Jan 1919 is also mentioned in his Air79 file as the date he was transferred to RAF Reserves Class G

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

7 hours ago, PRC said:

have you checked that out via the 1921 Census of England & Wales available on FindMyPast

Household members (5 people)

Copy to clipboard

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Sex Birth year Age in years Birth place Occupation Employer
Thomas Arthur Clark
Head
Male 1876 45 Stratford, London, England House Decorator Employer
Florence Clark
Wife
Female 1877 43 Stepney, London, England Home Duties -
Thomas Arthur Clark
Son
Male 1899 21 London, England House Decorator Thomas Arthur Clark, House Decorator
Florence Clark
Daughter
Female 1901 19 Forest Gate, London, England Shorthand Typist Courtin & Warner, Chem & Ess Oil Merchants
Percy Harry Clark
Son
Male 1904 17 Forest Gate, London, England Plumbers Mate Thomas Arthur Clerk, House Decoratoer

Apparently at home painting in 1921

George

Anyone know what 28 C.B.S. might be - the unit shown in the D.F.C. "citation".

Just in case there is another Thomas Arthur Clark out there who did indeed stay in the RAF until 1928 and so might not have any records at the National Archive.

Cheers,
Peter

There is not a Thomas Arthur Clark nor a Thomas Arthur Clarke who was a DFC recipient, also, if he had shot down 6 scouts in 12 days he would have been classified as an ace but there are no such aces.

Steve

My uncle Reg King, joined the RFC in September 1916, and only got his pilots wings and was commissioned in October 1917, then he still carried on training at a TS to train as a Recce pilot. So it took quite a long time to become an operational squadron pilot.

Edited by researchingreg
Extra info