Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr 243648 Thomas Wilde – RGA

8055Bell

Thomas Wilde was discharged with a pension for inflammation of the stomach that was aggravated by service.  He died on 11/09/1919 aged 25.  Burial at Hollinwood Cemetery.

I doubt the DC states inflammation of the stomach.  A related condition or clearer diagnosis would probably not justify commemoration.

47 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

Thomas Wilde was discharged with a pension for inflammation of the stomach that was aggravated by service. 

Unfortunately I can't access your Ancestry links

WFA/Fold3 pension cards don't help hugely as no detail on his condition/death

Discharged 10.4.18.  Disability is not specified but he got 9/9 pw from 15.5.18 to 15.4.19 [9/9 pw is a stange rate that I don't immediately recognise for a Class V / Gnr soldier - sort of between the 30-40% disability rates ?? - not usual to see a midpoint assessment/pension rate ??]

Widow made a claim - no cause of death shown - Mary WILDE, 22 Acre St, Chadderton only shown as getting a £6 Grant

Might seem puzzling as normally only £5 Grant for a widow - until you also see the the further note for 11 & 12 = the Articles for a widow's pension and child's allowance [so will have been £5 + £1 respectively]

Such a grant/grants were pretty standard for "urgent necessary expenses consequent upon or caused by his death" = commonly used for newspaper inserts it might be worth looking at local newspapers to see if he was mentioned after his death [or perhaps even before it] - though I believe you have previously said the Oldham Chronicle is not [yet?] digitised/online.

M

Edited by Matlock1418