Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl 24945 David Rogers – Royal Welsh Fusiliers

8055Bell

The pension record show David Rogers was discharged with a long term award for VDH due to service on 19/11/1918.  He died on 29/06/1919 and is buried at Hollinwood Cemetery.

There’s a strong prospect the DC will show VDH and David Rogers qualifies for commemoration.  Sadly, higher forces direct that I only succumb to a Manchester Regiment DC habit and I hope there is an equivalent Oldham or RWF researcher out there.

27 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

The pension record show David Rogers was discharged with a long term award for VDH due to service on 19/11/1918.  He died on 29/06/1919 and is buried at Hollinwood Cemetery.

There’s a strong prospect the DC will show VDH and David Rogers qualifies for commemoration. 

I rather presume [?? as I can't access it] that is a pension record somewhat akin to a Service Record with Medical Board notes at Ancestry.

From WFA/Fold3: He had previously claimed for a [unspecified] disability pension on discharge, 19-11-18 receiving 19/3 pw from 20-11-18. [19/3 pw was the 70% disability rate for a Class V / Pte soldier] Address given as 53 Underlane, Oldham.  Unfortunately his main MoP FILE DESTROYED 10.5.27

Pension cards at WFA/Fold3 do not show cause of death or further pension award/payments but after his death his [un-named] widow, at 56 Under Lane, Hollinwood, got a £5 Grant which was pretty standard for "urgent necessary expenses consequent upon or caused by his death" = commonly used for newspaper inserts it might be worth looking at local newspapers to see if he was mentioned after his death [or perhaps even before it].

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

4 minutes ago, Hywyn said:

The Opinion of the Medical Board sheet provides that the aortic issue was deemed constitutional but aggravated.

??? Is that "aggravated" recorded elsewhere but I can't read it on the image provided  ???

I'm reading As regards (1) Constitutional

???

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

1 minute ago, Hywyn said:

It's there at section 22 i  (b)      "Aggravated by: as regards 1) Yes"

I can't see the Yes

M

4 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

Still qualifies though, if the DC states VDH or the like.

2 minutes ago, Hywyn said:

I'll run him by Terry Denham and get the DC if he's a goer.

So far, based on what I have seen here I would suspect he is dodgy so far as persuading CWGC/JCCC

But maybe I haven't seen it all - or am misinterpreting.

TD should be able to give you an opinion before you spend your £7

M

8 minutes ago, Hywyn said:

image.png.31a24c88d3310ee0cc38fbe78e3c530f.png

:doh: Must go to S***savers

Oops, I''m reading down not across the page!

Or the sherry has really got to me tonight! Or just old age!!  Probably the combination!!!

Looking better, though the WFA/Fold3 MoP will probably be of only modest help - but lots of dripping water can wear away a stone!

Good luck with the DC.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Book a double appointment because that's what I did initially and was posted about it being a bit iffy and then immediately spotted the aggravated bit. Hence my pigs ear effort to salvage my post.

13 minutes ago, Hywyn said:

Book a double appointment because that's what I did initially and was posted about it being a bit iffy and then immediately spotted the aggravated bit. Hence my pigs ear effort to salvage my post.

I think quite likely a queue from GWF! - Other opticians are available!!

You are forgiven - as I hope I can be! :unsure:

I'm sure you will keep us updated. :)

Happy New Year to you and all [at GWF anyway].

M