Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Other countries' war-graves organisations

Moonraker

I know a little about the work of the CWGC in Britain and overseas, but presumably non-Commonwealth nations have comparable operations? Germany, for example, has the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraberfursorge.

I started off putting this query in the main forum, but guessed that a proportion of any responses might relate to World War Two and other conflicts. Who looks after Italian WWII war graves in North Africa, Russian war graves outside Russia, Japanese war graves outside Japan, for instance?

2 hours ago, Moonraker said:

I know a little about the work of the CWGC in Britain and overseas, but presumably non-Commonwealth nations have comparable operations? Germany, for example, has the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraberfursorge.

I started off putting this query in the main forum, but guessed that a proportion of any responses might relate to World War Two and other conflicts. Who looks after Italian WWII war graves in North Africa, Russian war graves outside Russia, Japanese war graves outside Japan, for instance?

Russian war graves outside of Russia are usually taken care for by other graves services (Volksbund, local authorities etc) but they are under control of the Russian Ministry of Exterior (local embassy).

as far as I know , there are reciprocal arrangements between  countries, that said, obviously places like Basra have been badly damaged by the recent people in charge (avoiding politics), there are individuals that look after cemeteries as a favour to those who reside there , but they have no ties with organisations.

The CWGC look after German graves here, likewise the French tolerate German graves but from travelling around a few, it just consists of a grass cutting and hedges as no flower borders to look after.

59 minutes ago, chaz said:

likewise the French tolerate German graves but from travelling around a few, it just consists of a grass cutting and hedges as no flower borders to look after.

Explain please. German war cemeteries are maintained by the Volksbund in France. "tolerate"? There's official agreements over war cemeteries in all countries.

There is a special arrangement for the joint Franco-German war cemeteries in Southern Belgium. I believe these are all under French care (but I'm not sure).