Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dvr 52079 Peter Edwin Bevan RFA

8055Bell

Dvr 52079 Peter Edwin Bevan RFA

Peter was discharged on 28/01/1919 and received a pension for VDH & rheumatism.  There is no note of connection with service.  He resided at 1 Norman St, Failsworth, Lancs.

Dvr Bevan died from acute rheumatism, VDH & nephritis on 29/01/1921.  He is buried Failsworth Cemetery. Next of Kin, Elizabeth Bevan of 1 Norman St.

No records found to verify death was connected with service.

2 hours ago, 8055Bell said:

Peter was discharged on 28/01/1919 and received a pension for VDH & rheumatism.

What source for this receipt of pension?  From the detail you have provided I suspect WFA/Fold3.

The pension ledger pages and cards at WFA/Fold3 don't actually show such a detail, they only show a claim was made for disability of VDH & rheumatism, ledger referenced 3/MB/12806 . One card for a disability claim, again referenced 3/MB/12806, is actually annotated No pension 

[His widow was refused a widow's pension on the grounds that they married after discharge - but that is a completely different cause for refusal] 

M

12 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

Yes, as I thought.  But these only show claims by the man and later his widow - not any success or payment(s). [In fact for his widow a clear Refusal - Married after discharge]

So I/we really have to agree of minimal use in making a non-comm case.  Hey ho!

M

Edited by Matlock1418

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

The pension card adds nephritis, I think.

It does - and yet even if a DC includes that VDH, Rheumatism and Nephritis, without other evidence I fear CWGC will not accept it and MoP alone as a non-comm case for future commemoration, they will insist on 'military' evidence.

M

Just floating something for discussion.

I would suspect it's very unlikely he would have been taken on for service, or at best survived his initial training, if the VDH and rheumatism was pre-exisiting.

So they must have developed subsequently or at least manifested later - which opens the door to aggravated by his service.

At this point, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, those conditions could even have developed \ manifested after he was discharged in the normal order - there is nothing on his MiC to suggest he was discharged earlier & no SWB reference.

However - I note that FMP has three Medical Admission Register entries for him, one from 1916 and two from 1917. These are Army documents, not the lesser valued Ministry of Pensions ones.

If any of them shows VDH \ Rheumatism or even Nephritis, does that not suggest those conditions were caused or aggravated by service?

Now playing devils' advocate the CWGC & the Army could counter that:-
a) those conditions materialised as a result of the man's own bad habits, (alcohol \ drugs & naughty ladies spring to mind!), or as a result of mis-adventure in contravention of army regulations, (pranged his back while looting \ explosion while using black powder to light a fire \ trying to evade arrest while AWOL \ SIW, etc, etc : and \ or

b) the conditions with which he left the army got better, and then independantly and for completely different reasons occurred at some point between him leaving the army in January 1919 and his death in 1921.

I don't have an answer for a) and b) (yet!), but it's a different argument to just accepting that the absence of surviving service records kills any attempt to have him commemorated stone dead.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Peter

2 minutes ago, PRC said:

I don't have an answer for a) and b) (yet!), but it's a different argument to just accepting that the absence of surviving service records kills any attempt to have him commemorated stone dead.

Fair comments, but ...

Neither do I, but the evidence will need to be found!   As otherwise plenty of scope for rejection.

I wouldn't want to be seen to be attempting to shut down any searching prematurely - as I am not, but ... ???

M

2 hours ago, PRC said:

any of them shows VDH \ Rheumatism

Checked already. Scabies 1916, ICT rt foot 1917 and an index to same. Nothing to aid the case. 

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Ir's a great shame that the clerk filling in the disability card didn't complete the section for attrib / aggravated.  Another inconclusice case.  Thanks for looking.

Tim