Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras

truthergw

I hope to be visiting Arras, Vimy etc. next weekend. If there are any special requests for pix, I will try to fulfill them. Digital camera, (brand new with raw amateur operator). The forecast is snow! so don't expect too much. :blink:

Tom US Branch WFA will be at Hotel Mercure then, stop by if you fancy a beer. We will leave about 9 daily and prior to departure then or PM before should be able to tell you when we will get back.

I hope to be visiting Arras, Vimy etc. next weekend. If there are any special requests for pix, I will try to fulfill them. Digital camera, (brand new with raw amateur operator).

Snap! Almost. Just got myself a new (first) digital camera and going to visit Arras....but not until mid-June. If it's still snowing then..... :(

If either of you come back with any strong recommendations for must dos/don'ts (WW1 related!) or places (bars, restaurants) to go/avoid, then please let me know.

Cheers,

Stuart

In case you didnt know the rennovation works are now taking place at Vimy Ridge so you won't get near the memorial for a couple of years and I believe scaffold is also now up in places.

The 'visitor' information centre has been moved to somewhere near the trenches I believe so you can still have a valid visit. (The Grange tunnels are not usually open till May 1st).

Ryan

I hope to be visiting Arras, Vimy etc. next weekend. If there are any special requests for pix, I will try to fulfill them. Digital camera, (brand new with raw amateur operator). The forecast is snow! so don't expect too much.  :blink:

Thanks for the info re Vimy, I will try to pop along to Hotel Mecure. Giles, I like your forecast better than the one I saw. I don't suppose you are giving guarantees? :ph34r:

:)

Unfourtunately that was last week - you never know what the Northern France weather will bring - much like England of course!

I hope to be visiting Arras, Vimy etc. next weekend. If there are any special requests for pix, I will try to fulfill them. Digital camera, (brand new with raw amateur operator). The forecast is snow! so don't expect too much. 

I don't know what I ask, but ........ would you be kind enough to try out you new camera on the Arras Memorial? I would like pictures of inscriptions for two men;

Pte. Harold Mountford, 12th West Yorkshire Regt - Bay 4

Gunner John Inscoe R.F.A. - Bay 1

It would be very much appreciared if you could get them but don't worry if not.

Thanks in advance.

Roy

I don't know what I ask, but ........ would you be kind enough to try out you new camera on the Arras Memorial? I would like pictures of inscriptions for two men;

Pte. Harold Mountford, 12th West Yorkshire Regt - Bay 4

Gunner John Inscoe R.F.A. - Bay 1

It would be very much appreciared if you could get them but don't worry if not.

Thanks in advance.

Roy

I will certainly get the photos for you. I haven't been to Arras before, can you be more specific as to which memorial or where it is?

Tom.

The Memorial can be a bit difficult to find if you haven't been before.

It is known as the Arras Memorial to the Missing and the Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery. Your best bet, if you can Tom, is to follow the signs for the Citadel. Memorial and cemetery are located next to this fortification.

I've just 'dug' this out of the 'Black Hole', a tourist map i got from the Town Hall a few years back. Hope it scans o-k. Memorial is ringed, number 19.

Hope you have a great trip.

Regards, Chris.

post-47-1112724723.jpg

Thanks Chris,

I was just about to post the same information.

Tom,

The info below, taken from the CWGC site, may help you locate my men's names but please don't go to too much trouble.

"The Panel Numbers quoted at the end of each entry relate to the panels dedicated to the Regiment served with."

Thanks again in advance.

Roy

"The Panel Numbers quoted at the end of each entry relate to the panels dedicated to the Regiment served with."

Thanks for the map and key.

It all looks fairly straightforward. ( Whistles loudly)

I'll be back home Tuesday. I'll be in touch then.