Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Memorial cross awarded to a foreign national

Simon Ashley

I recently bought this medal from an auction house: a silver Canadian GV Memorial/ Mother's cross.

John McDill from Hurlford was killed in action 2.10.18 in France but was with the Royal Scotts. He was born in Hurlford , Ayrshire in 1901 and I can find no link to Canada. I do not know if these medals were routinely inscribed and by whom: this inscription is too ornate to have a military origin. Were these medals generally available - could a grieving mother have readily accessed an example?

Any ideas gratefully received.

IMG_0631.jpg

I don't collect Canadian Mothers Crosses but I have viewed many of them, I have never seen a cross named in this fashion, ever. I think the original inscription has been removed & then re engraved.

4 hours ago, Simon Ashley said:

I recently bought this medal from an auction house: a silver Canadian GV Memorial/ Mother's cross...

IMG_0631.jpg

I agree with RNCVR's assessment - an original Memorial Cross that has been sadly been "scrubbed" of the original naming and renamed to McDill despite his NOK having no obvious entitlement to one. A typical example named to an OR should look far more like the following:

Canadian Memorial Cross 11th Bn Canadian Infantry died 1916 - Medals And  Memorabilia