Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What did Turkish trenches look like at Quinns Post?

tankengine888

Hello!

Fairly straightfoward question.. What did the Turk trenches look like at Quinns post? I know that the Turkish trenches at Lone Pine used leaves and pine trees but I'm unsure around the Nek to Quinns post area. 

I'd be glad for any response,
Zidane.

A great portion of the Turkish trenches at Quinn's did look pretty much the same as the ones at Lone Pine but in a more wretched condition due to continuous bombing.  

For example, according to an entry in the WD of the 57th Regt, the No. 31 Trench was divided into squad-sized sections, and an arrangement was made to overcover one of each two sections.

image.jpeg.3e0cf169f048b50352e28a278452b846.jpeg

See what these trenches look like from the air:
image.jpeg.fc4a63a68d70b1ea9184e98d4a23e0ef.jpeg

Below is a photo of overcovered trench "Kapalı Çarşı" (named after Grand Bazaar in Istanbul) at Quinn's (from Hans Kannengiesser's book).

image.jpeg.9563b21313cc5001a41624abcb75f7b5.jpeg

Edited by emrezmen

Hello mate!

This is very interesting to say the least! From what I'm gathering from the reply you sent..
A ) Trenches around Quinns seemed fairly well maintained [with wood] and sandbags. 
B ) Some trenches were divided to form 'Squad Trenches' which covered sections of no-mans land

Seems fairly straightforward. I understand that on the Allied side, LtCol Malone [Wellington Inf. NZEF] commanded Quinn's Post making it ever more challenging, though he was killed on Chunuk Bair on Aug 8 1915.

Zidane.

Mate,

A number of LH writers comment that they crossed over the Ottoman Trenches without knowing, as they were covered and in the half light missed them

Of cause like the Lone Pine area only the Front trenches were so covered those on the branches were not.

While we had trouble getting into there front trenches, many men just entered via these branches trapping the Ottoman soldiers between them.

S.B