Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is M457621 or M45/621 [AIF]

tankengine888

Hello!

I was researching a soldier when I came across this
image.png.f82fa2bd558ba1409814ef5cb0fb6de3.png
It states that their will went to 4th MD Deputy Assistant Adjutant General [?] on September 19th, 1919. I saw M457621 or M45/621 and I am now wondering what that is and, if it's a file, where could I find it? I'll be happy for any responses on this matter,

Zidane.

Edited by tankengine888

3 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Hello!

I was researching a soldier when I came across this
image.png.f82fa2bd558ba1409814ef5cb0fb6de3.png
It states that their will went to 4th MD Deputy Assistant Adjutant General [?] on September 19th, 1919. I saw M457621 or M45/621 and I am now wondering what that is and, if it's a file, where could I find it? I'll be happy for any responses on this matter,

Zidane.

M.D. is a common abbreviation for Medical Department, although I’m not 100% positive it is the case here.  Knowing what the whole document is would perhaps add some context and aid matters. 

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

M.D. is a common abbreviation for Medical Department, although I’m not 100% positive it is the case here.  Knowing what the whole document is would perhaps add some context and aid matters. 

A Service Record, concerning a Private soldier [562 Olson] who I had a thread on. MD is Military District and 4th M.D is South Australia and Olson was discharged in South Australia. I doubt it's Medical but still a good thought! I appreciate it

Zidane.

6 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

A Service Record, concerning a Private soldier [562 Olson] who I had a thread on. MD is Military District and 4th M.D is South Australia and Olson was discharged in South Australia. I doubt it's Medical but still a good thought! I appreciate it

Zidane.

Yes I think you’re right, military district makes eminent sense.  The breakdown at ‘Home’ in Britain (as it was then viewed from a military perspective) was to divide the country into regional ‘Commands’ (e.g. Northern, Western, etc.) each of which was divided into two, numbered Military ‘Districts’ under a full colonel, and it was in these districts that much of the administrative effort was organised, such as recruiting and pay, amongst other things.  It would have been the natural destination for the administration of last wills and testaments.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I think you’re right, medical district makes eminent sense.  The breakdown at ‘Home’ in Britain (as it was then viewed from a military perspective) was to divide the country into regional ‘Commands’ (e.g. Northern, Western, etc.) each of which was divided into two Military ‘Districts’ under a full colonel, and it was in these districts that much of the administrative effort was organised, such a recruiting and pay, amongst other things.  It would have been the natural destination for the administration of last wills and testaments.

I just have to hope that some can still find these last wills and testaments...

2 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

I just have to hope that some can still find these last wills and testaments...

One of the genealogical experts will be able to advise.  I suspect it depends upon whether their service record file survived.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi

4th Military District is SA -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Military_District_(Australia)

I know it says WW2, but it was the same for WW1. Map shows all the MD's.

M45/621 is probably some reference for the paperwork, it would have been destroyed in one of the many purges probably, especially if it is not in his service record. As he did not die from the war it would probably have been destroyed as the army had no further use for it.

From AWM -DAAG Deputy Assistant Adjutant General (First World War)

Frogsmile, most if not all Australian service records are on NAA, unlike UK where most have been destroyed. Cant see a medical record though.

regards

Robert

1 minute ago, rksimpson said:

M45/621 is probably some reference for the paperwork, it would have been destroyed in one of the many purges probably, especially if it is not in his service record. As he did not die from the war it would probably have been destroyed as the army had no further use for it.

Welp, it was worth a good shot! Quite a shame though since his family [siblings/parents] and pre-war life are unknown.
In the mean time, I did find his Returned from Active Service badge which was issued on September 11th, 1919
433701690_ReturnedfromActiveService.PNG.e045641cfbf30c3476a61a16cea1e136.PNG
Robert, just out of curiosity, are there any other files like the Returned from Active Service Badge rolls on NAA that I could use to do more research on him? The roll above revealed he lived in/near Eden Hills, a suburb in Adelaide if I'm not mistaken.

Zidane

• tankengine888 changed the title to What is M457621 or M45/621 [AIF]
9 minutes ago, rksimpson said:

Hi

4th Military District is SA -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Military_District_(Australia)

I know it says WW2, but it was the same for WW1. Map shows all the MD's.

From AWM -DAAG Deputy Assistant Adjutant General (First World War)

Frogsmile, most if not all Australian service records are on NAA, unlike UK where most have been destroyed. Cant see a medical record though.

regards

Robert

Thanks Robert, I have often thought how fortunate Aus, NZ and Can are that their military service records have survived and how generous their governments are that such records are mostly free to access rather than sold off and monetised as here.

Thanks Frogsmile, yes we are!

Zindane there is another record for him at NAA in Canberra - https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=8887169&isAv=N

It says it is -

Series number
D2994

But it only opened, to view it you will need to go to NAA at Canberra and request it, or pay to get it put online.
I am not sure what it is or how much information it would have in it.
regards

Robert

Army payfiles (1 AIF), alphabetical series

2 hours ago, rksimpson said:

Thanks Frogsmile, yes we are!

Zindane there is another record for him at NAA in Canberra - https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=8887169&isAv=N

It says it is -

Series number
D2994

But it only opened, to view it you will need to go to NAA at Canberra and request it, or pay to get it put online.
I am not sure what it is or how much information it would have in it.
regards

Robert

Army payfiles (1 AIF), alphabetical series

Thanks, but it's a payfile unfortunately. I looked at a few for other soldiers and doubt if it would help too much but still a good thought!

Zidane