Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coquelicot Farm, Bikschote

Jasmine Bikschote

Hi,

a question. I'm looking up the history of our farm. It was located near the frontlines of the battles of Ypres (especially the 1st one). I was once told that it was named Coquelicot Farm during WW1. But I would like have confirmation of this.

I already found some pictures. It's the farm with the red circle on the gas attack map.

Any information is welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Jasmine

luchtfoto 25_01_1915 KLM_MRA.smisske(cabaret).15764 (2).JPG

InkedFOTO 1915 gasaanval.jpg

And a nice one where you can shift from then to now by changing the transparency slider;

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.0&lat=50.92505&lon=2.85987&layers=101464630&b=1

The farm has been rebuilt some 100m from its previous location?

Yes, the rebuild was closer to the street but we are rebuilding the house now closer to the pre-war farm (somewhere in between the water and the current house). Thanks again for the link!

The links that I posted are just the top of the iceberg of information that should be available.

I am hoping that others with more information will chime in.

@Aurel Sercuknows the area very well.

What is that "thing" which is visible on Google earth, remains of a bunker or so?

image.png.b88e3171eb7e0e6f94aa051ff4b5205e.png

On Germans maps the farm is marked as "Haus Oldenburg"

image.png.ef3fb97c66de379b8312f1607ef96f88.png

Thanks for the info, It's very helpfull!
To my knowledge there are no remains of a bunker there, certainly not in concrete or so. I'll ask my grandfather if he can remember something. Each year still a lot of things come to the surface. 

Hi Jasmine and what an interesting place to live in.  TrenchMapper has over a hundred georeferenced maps of Coquelicot Farm and it certainly had a significant role.  In this October 1917 map, it lay on a coordination point for an artillery barrage / infantry assault heading NE.

The map below is a July 1917 German map and the small blue squares in front of the modern house (red pin) might be concrete bunkers / pill-boxes.  Beneath the word Oldenburg is a small square near the letter 3.  This is roughly at the NW corner of the modern agricultural shed shown on the Google satellite image.

image.png.2685814c050548e97daa6b1eb7c041c2.png

image.png.b09e5d0ddaae2f4bf639ee080f77d4f7.png

Jasmine,

I've just sent another message.

White Star Line,

I pity you, and you can envy me... For I live much closer to Jasmine than you do. Only less than 2 miles. On the other hand you, in Down Under, have summer now ! Enjoy the Longest Day !   :-)

Aurel