Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help find service record close to S/22486

Skipman

I'm trying to establish when Private S/22486 Alexander McLaren (no service record) formerly TR/1/13075 41st TB and 1/1539 TrBn went overseas. The effects calculator gives a January 1917 enlistment. Am struggling to find a service record that give any clue to his going to France and am getting a bit confused as to which numbers on the rolls I should search I've done quite a few either side of S/22486 without any joy. Can anyone help find a useful/relevant service record

Medal Roll

Mike

Edited by Skipman

30 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Do the pension ledgers in Fold 3 give the date, he has a card but I do not have access.

I don't have access either at the moment. If someone can tell me if it gives the date I will subscribe again.

Mike

I think the WG could read  £19.00 and give the date as 07/15 which ties in with the 7th (S) May 15, 8th (S) July 15 and 9th(S) May 15

17 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I don't have access either at the moment. If someone can tell me if it gives the date I will subscribe again.

No enlistment date  is shown on  Mclaren's pension ledger cards

49 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

I think the WG could read  £19.00 and give the date as 07/15 which ties in with the 7th (S) May 15, 8th (S) July 15 and 9th(S) May 15

Forgive me Edward what is the WG? and to what do the dates refer?

Mike

1. As a general observation, the S/224xx numbers appear to have been issued early May 1917, either upon transfer from another unit or at mobilization.

2.  Ernest Yard S/22496 came via the Royal Scots and then 16/12/16 the 41st Training Reserve, (TR/1/12707). Transferred 15/5/17(edited) to 7th Seaforths, numbered S/22496 then posted 2nd Bn 1/6/17. But no evidence he went overseas with them! 

Charlie

Edited by charlie962
Year correction

WG= War Gratuity. The 7th (S),8th(S) and 9th(S) are the Service Battalions of the Seaforths with the date first landed in France

2 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

WG could read  £19.00

It's not clear but to me it reads 10 with an underline. Cf higher up same page. That gives the Jan 1917 enlistment.

3 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

WG= War Gratuity. The 7th (S),8th(S) and 9th(S) are the Service Battalions of the Seaforths with the date first landed in France

Of course, sorry. WG .

Mike