Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian raid near Kornes Jan 1916

stevenbecker

Mates,

Are the Russian blokes interested in the Russian Army, I wonder if you saw this I posted in the Gallipoli comment area of this site?

I was casing down any formation on a raid carried out by Russian Troops in the Caucasus Jan 1915

Any thing to point to the Troops who took part?

S.B

Hello !

Please clarify, do you mean the Erzurum offensive operation in January - February 1916?

Mikhail,

Mate sorry a read of the question in the Gallipoli  Comment should clear this up, but the raid is shown in a number of sources as 28 Jan 1916, but further research shows the raid was the 28 Jan 1915

The 30th Ottoman Division held the line around Kornes, just North- North East of Erzurum

Ottoman sources say there 30th Div Commander and staff were captured along with 2 guns and 200 men

An Ottoman source also gives that the raid was by Siberian Cossacks

But the source I have said Serberian Cossack Bde didn't arrived at the Front until Feb 1915 after being in Reserve at Biflis since 1914-15

Do you have any thing on the Russian Forces during Jan 1915 on the Front?

Spasibo

S.B

Hello! 

A separate Siberian Cossack brigade (1st Siberian Cossack Yermak Timofeev and 2nd Siberian Cossack regiment) fought on the Caucasian front excellently under the command of generals P.P. Kalitin and E.-A.F. Raddatz. Especially famous are her attacks near Ardagan on December 24, 1914 and near Ilidzhi beyond Erzurum on February 4, 1916 - in deep snow and with the capture of enemy headquarters, banners and artillery. General P.P. Kalitin, one of the few holders of the Order of St. George III class in the Russian army, was awarded “for being the head of a separate Siberian Cossack brigade, on December 14, 1914, having received an order to hastily move to the mountains. Ardagan to the rescue of the detachment of Gen.-M. Genik, surrounded by significantly superior Turkish forces, united under his command separate detachments that counteracted the bypass of the Turkish troops from the direction of Olt and the Chorokh region, led a vigorous offensive against the mountains occupied by the Turks. Ardagan and joint actions with a detachment of General Istomin took it, after which he moved to Olty with a forced march and occupied them with a battle on December 30; his further actions from January 1 to January 13, operating on the Turks' communications routes and forcing the 10th Turkish Corps to repeatedly change the retreat route, greatly contributed to the complete defeat of the Turkish army "

So as we see, Siberian Cossack brigade fought on the Caucasian front from December 1914 at least.

But to be honest, I did not find anything similar to your story in the history of the Siberian Cossack regiments....

sib.jpg

sib2.png

Edited by Mikhail

Finally! In the book http://militera.lib.ru/h/korsun_n1/index.html  (Korsun. "The Sarikamysh operation") I was able to find the interesting information:

"On January 5, 1915, the 11th Caucasian Rifle Regiment with four mountain guns, reinforced by four hundred Cossacks, was advanced from Gabaev's column to capture Gornes { looks like a Kornes in your transcription - Mikhail}. This detachment, on a heavy night march into a snowstorm, overcoming hard-to-reach mountains, captured the Gornes area with a sudden night attack, where among the prisoners were: the commander of the 30th Infantry Division of the 10th Corps with the entire headquarters, 170 officers and doctors, 400 askers, 3 guns and 1 machine gun. At this episode, the Russian offensive in the Oltinsky direction stopped, and Kalitin's cavalry detachment gathered in the Olty-Noriman area, with guard units advanced forward."

Look like the confirmation of your story from Russian side.

The date of January, 5th looks strange , but maybe the old time style??

On the photo: the 11th Caucasian Rifle Regiment in 1916.

11-й_Кавказский_стрелковый_полк.jpg

Edited by Mikhail

Mikhail,

Would that be the 11th Caucasus Regt from this Bde?

3rd Caucasus Rifle Bde formed into 3rd Caucasian Rifle Div 6-15    Gen Gabayev to Gen Bitsiutko 11-15 to Gen Iozefovich 6-16 T/att Gen Danilovich 11-16 to Gen Schutskoy 11-16 to Gen Meder 4-17     9th 10th 11th and 12th Caucasian Rifle Regts + 263rd Infantry Regt/66th Infantry Div        3rd Caucasus Artillery Bn (18 guns)

So the Cossacks maybe from one of the two Siberian Cossacks Regt you gave

Its always good to get the story from the other side.

Cheers

S.B

yes, The 3rd Caucasian Rifle Brigade was formed on 08/18/1914 as part of the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th Caucasian Rifle Regiments, formed from four reserve infantry battalions. Commander of the brigade - Lieutenant General Gabaev Vasily Davidovich.

11th Caucasian Rifle Regiment  (2 battalions), formed on 08/19/1914 from the ranks of the 117th Reserve Infantry Battalion; Officers of the 16th Mingrelian Grenadier Regiment went to the formation of the 11th regiment. First commanders : 09/03/1914 - 12/27/1914 Colonel Mikeladze Konstantin Almaskhanovich (died of wounds);  01/01/1915 - 02/15/1916 Colonel Prince Tsulukidze Georgy Davidovich (departed from the regiment on 03/02/1916). 

As for the Cossacks, it is not entirely clear from the description whether these were Siberian Cossacks. Several regiments of the Kuban Cossacks  were also present in the Kalitin detachment.

upload_army_unit_image_11-y-kavk-strel-polk.jpg

upload_army_unit_image_11-y-kavk-strel-polk-parad.jpg

Edited by Mikhail

Milhail,

Da

I did read that the 3rd Caucasus Bde covered to the 3rd Caucusas Rifle Divison in June 1915

But since I record it, like the Siberian Cossack Bde as both in reserve Army during 1914

So both the 3rd Caucasus Bde and Siberian Cossack Bde joined Gen Istomin 20th Div (1st Caucasus Corps)

which shows Force at Oltu 8,000 men 11/12-14

20 Infantry Division (Gen. Istomin): 1 Brigade (77th and 78th Infantry Regts); 2Bn/20 Artillery Bde

3rd Gorsko-Mozdokskiy Cossack Regt

26th Border Guard Bde: 1/2 infantry bn and a cavalry sqn 1st Caucasus Separate Sapper Co 4th Armenian druzhinas (Militia Bn)

Thats if my souces are correct.

S.B

As for Siberian cossack brigade. In the beginning of December 1914, The Russian command, in connection with the appearance of the Turks at Ardahan, put forward, from Tiflis by rail to Borjom and further along the highway to Akhaltsikhe, the Siberian Cossack brigade of Kalitin with a cavalry-machine-gun team and the 2nd Orenburg Cossack battery. By the evening of December 14, the brigade reached Borjom, and at 20 o'clock Kalitin received an order to immediately go to Ardahan to rescue Genik's detachment.

It seems your records are correct in general. The only clarification is that Kalitin's detachment (the Siberian Cossack brigade, 13 weak hundreds of the 1st Caucasian Cossack division and parts of the 9th Caucasian rifle regiment and the 263rd Gunib infantry regiment with their artillery) was not subordinate to General Istomin and acted independently.

Gen Kalitin on the photos below.

Калитин_Петр_Петрович.jpg

Калитин_Петр_Петрович_3.jpg

Edited by Mikhail

Mikhail,

IF I am following my maps correctly

They moved from Borjom (Borjomi in Georgia), down to Ardahan, (North of Kars), then down to Olta, (North North East of Erzurum) 

That puts them on the only road North of Erzurum to advance down, and along which is near Kornes

I think I am now following their line of advance

Cheers

S.B

yes You are correct. 

More detailed trace of Kalitin’s detachment (i try to draw the way of detachment on the Russian map below):

20th Dec – Borjom

21th Dec - Capturing Ardahan

22th Dec - On vacation in the Gyulabert area

23th Dec - Attack on Merdenek

24th Dec - In Merdenek area

26th Dec - In Penyak area

27th Dec - Approach to the position of the Turks in the Solenopromyslovaya area

28th Dec - Fight in the area of Solenopromyslovaya

29th Dec - Fight in the area of Sigda-sor

30th Dec - Occupation of Olta and approach to Noriman

31th Dec - Fight in the area of Noriman

1-5th Jan - Fight in the Yenikei area, concentration in the Olta area