Hi all - any additional info on the following

Name: GREYGOOSE, FRANCIS

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 23/10/1914

Service No: 6173

According to SDGW he was born in Bishop's Storford Herts and lived in Tottenham Hale.

I know we have some real census experts - my hunch is that he was born in 1883 the son of William Greygoose and Eliza Burton - could someone confirm this and he seems to have disappeared from 1901 census - any ideas.

Also could anyone confirm my thoughts that he was killed during the Battle of Langemark

Thanks

Glyn

Glyn,

1891 Census. Street : Upgrove Hill, Place : Stanstead, Essex.

Francis Greygoose, age 8, born Stanstead, Essex.

Son of William (51, born Takeley, Essex) and Eliza (46, born Ware, Herts) Greygoose.

Siblings : Jonas (18), Edw(ard?) (10), Sidney (6), Lucy (5), Agnes (3). All born Stanstead.

1901 Census.

Transcription gives Francis Greygoose as age 78 - actually 18!!

Francis Greygoose, age 18, born Stanstead, Essex, Nursery Labourer.

Son of William (61, born Takeley, Essex) and Eliza (55, born Wareside, Herts) Greygoose.

Siblings : Sidney (6). Born Stanstead.

Resident at Stanstead Mountfichel, Borough of Saffron Walden

Stanstead is a sub-registration district of Bishops Stortford... B)

Steve.

Glyn

The 2/KRRC formed part of 2nd Brigade under General Bulfin. They were based in Pilkem. Initially they gave fire support to the short advance of the Loyal North Lancs and the South Staffs. When the latter two battalions successfully ousted the Germans, the 2/KRRC joined in the counter-attack, re-taking and consolidating the old trench line previously created by the Camerons. Although the Germans appear to have put up little resistance and several hundred were captured, Francis was presumably killed in this action.

Robert

Steve

Many thanks for all that info - Great stuff.

Robert

Excellent - much appreciated.

Glyn

GREYGOOSE - great surname and one I haven`t come across before. :)  Phil B

Probably no relevance at all, but back in the '80's a Dean Greygoose played in goal for Cambridge United!

Anorak time!

In the 2001 census of England & Wales, there were 51 recorded instances of the surname Greygoose, ranking it the 50,162nd most popular surname, along with Vanni, Cheatley, Millroy, Kulas and a few others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have just joined and noted with interest the discussion on the Greygoose family. My great- grandfather was Charles John Greygoose from Takely and I have done a lot of research on the family who appear to have lived in Takely from approx 1620 but disappeared from the village after (during?) the Great War.

Being also interested in the Essex Regt I have found 4 greygooses who died during the war of whom 1 is buried at Le Sucrie Cem, one at Adanac Cem and another at Petit-le-Grand. Francis Greygoose I have not traced so am interested in any further discussion on him.

2 of the aforementioned are commemorated on the Cross of Sacrifice in Lambourne Churchyard (near Romford, Essex) a village i lived in for 40 years without realising they were my ancestors!.

Having visited the Somme many times it is very moving to think of these young lads from a quiet Essex village who died so soon after arriving in France!

By the way Stephen Nulty wots with the anorak time!!

Patrick Horgan

Patrick

"Anorak" related to my and my census information, not to the esteemed Greygoose family :D

SN

Patrick

Have sent you an e-mail re:Francis Greygoose

Glyn

Patrick

"Anorak" related to my and my census information, not to the esteemed Greygoose family  :D

SN

ok thanks steve. As you have access to Census could you please look for a Leonard Victor Greygoose kia 1.7.16 resident at enlistment at ABRIDGE, Essex. Any info on his family in the Return would be much appreciated

:D

Patrick

First glance yields a big fat zero for Leonard Greygoose in all census returns. Also, I couldn't locate hiom on CWGC. Do you have anything more on him (age, place of birth, etc.)?

S

Patrick

In Lambourne with Abridge in Essex, the 1901 census return has a Greygoose family as shown in the image below.

The 4 year old son has been transcribed as "Laurena I Greygoose" but I'm sure that's not correct. I wonder could this be your man?

The others are transcribed as Alfred and Annie, with children Alfred, Hilda and "Lea E"

There is a Lawrance John V Greygoose born Dec qtr 1896, Dunmow, Essex.

And a Leo Eric Greygoose, born June qtr 1899, also in Dunmow, Essex.

These would be the brothers, above, and Leo is possibly "Leonard".

48 Registrations of Greygoose's in Dunmow. It seems to be a hotspot for them. they are probably all related in some way...

Steve.

Ah, Leo Eric Greygoose was in the 1st East Surreys - not our man.

He was killed 23/8/1918, age 19, buried Miraumont. "Son of Alfred and Annie Greygoose, 44 Eastfield Road, Enfield Wash, Middlesex"

Lawrence initials fit "Greygoose, L J V, 32185, 9th Essex Regiment" who was KIA 12/5/1918, buried Acheux

The only Greygoose per CWGC killed 1-7-1916 was A Greygoose, L-Cpl, 2nd Essex Regiment, 12640, buried Sucrerie, Colincamps

There doesn't seem to be a Leonard Greygoose KIA 1-7-1916?

Steve.

There is a Lawrance John V Greygoose born Dec qtr 1896, Dunmow, Essex.

And a Leo Eric Greygoose, born June qtr 1899, also in Dunmow, Essex.

These would be the brothers, above, and Leo is possibly "Leonard".

48 Registrations of Greygoose's in Dunmow. It seems to be a hotspot for them. they are probably all related in some way...

Steve.

Thanks Steve and Stebbie, what a fast response!!! The Greygoose family all originated from Takely hence the registrations in Dunmow. I am amazed that the family in question lived in Arnolds Cottages, these still exist and until recently my sister lived in one of them, talk about returning to roots! I shall have to follow this path in local records. Its interesting that they might be brothers, will have to follow that. The Cross of Sacrifice for Lambourne is somewhat unusually in the Church graveyard, I though most of them were placed outside so as to accomodate non christians.

I first became interested in the Great War when as a youngster I was sent to collect vegetables from an old boy in the village and he used to relate to me his experiences. I didnt know then that I would still be following this interest 40 years later!!

Thanks again and if you happen to find any more i would appreciate it

Patrick

ok thanks steve, im sorry i obviously have muddled up dates with names as im doing this from memory in my office. I have the details at home. My apologies if i have sent you up the wrong path. I have visiited the grave of Albert Greygoose in le Sucerie Cem. What a beautiful and sad place. I have read that as the Essex and other units marched forward to the front lines they could see the graves being dug in readiness !!

Patrick

Patrick

In Lambourne with Abridge in Essex, the 1901 census return has a Greygoose family as shown in the image below.

The 4 year old son has been transcribed as "Laurena I Greygoose" but I'm sure that's not correct. I wonder could this be your man?

The others are transcribed as Alfred and Annie, with children Alfred, Hilda and "Lea E"

Steve, due to information supplied and census return I have now been put in touch with a 104 year old lady who actually went to school with the Greygoose boys and remembers them well! Hope I have that good a memory when I get to her age !!! I am seeing her Tuesday evening with my recorder. The original Arnold Cottages have been rebuilt and much smarter houses built but Arnolds farm were I am assuming the father worked is still there and by the looks of it has not altered much since pre War. Thanks again

Patrick

Patrick,

Great stuff. Have a good visit. Let us know what she remembers of them all.

(And explain to us where all these Greygoose's (Greygeese?) fit into the picture!)

Steve. (aka Stebie9173) - There's just too many Steves around this place!

Steve, due to information supplied and census return I have now been put in touch with a 104 year old lady who actually went to school with the Greygoose boys and remembers them well! Hope I have that good a memory when I get to her age !!!  I am seeing her Tuesday evening with my recorder. The original Arnold Cottages have been rebuilt and much smarter houses built but Arnolds farm were I am assuming the father worked is still there and by the looks of it has not altered much since pre War.  Thanks again

Patrick

Patrick

Just sent you an e-mail before reading your post - If your visit throws up any info on Francis would you be kind enough to let me know.

Best Regards

Glyn

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this hinders or helps but anyway.......Alfred William Greygoose S.P.O. HMS's Cumberland and Ramillies 1914-1919. Then The Cameroons,German East Africa,Halifax,Bermuda: North Sea.

Not a bad little lot for an Essex lad!!!

Regards Steve.

Steve,

FANTASTIC I think you may have solved a problem for me. Alfred William Greygoose is on the 1901 Census as brother of Lawrence and Leo Greygoose of Abridge Essex and I have been trying to find out if your man is the one and same. Do you have any more info on him. I did start a thread on this asking whether all three boys died but cant find it now !!

Patrick

Hi Patrick. Thamks for your PM. All the info was as listed. He was local to me I.E. Hornchurch and it came from a listing of every Hornchurch man and woman who gave service during the war.The info was collated in 1920 and he was alive then,as there is another list of war dead and he's not listed there, and judging by his war record maybe some of the navy boys could help you out. If you click the search button at the top of the page and type Greygoose into the box it will bring up all your posts. Regards Steve

• 4 months later...
Hi all - any additional info on the following

Name: GREYGOOSE, FRANCIS

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 23/10/1914

Service No: 6173

According to SDGW he was born in Bishop's Storford Herts and lived in Tottenham Hale.

I know we have some real census experts - my hunch is that he was born in 1883 the son of William Greygoose and Eliza Burton - could someone confirm this and he seems to have disappeared from 1901 census - any ideas.

Also could anyone confirm my thoughts that he was killed during the Battle of Langemark

Thanks

Glyn

Hi Glyn,

My Grandfather served in 2KRRC in C company at the bayttle of Langemarck. His diary describes the attack. I have visited the area and found the German trenches they took that day. They still exist! Would you like a copy of the photos I took that day Plus an extract from the diary?

Mike Smith