Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Identity : French and British

4thGordons

I recently purchased a small German photo album largely because in amongst standard family snapshots (pre and post war) were several pictures of the individuals wartime service -- including several pictures of tanks.  I believe these are personal pictures rather than commercially produced or reprinted but cannot be certain.

I am rather outside my area of knowledge here but know there are several forum member experts so....

Two questions:

The first images appear to me to show knocked out French Schneider CA1 tanks -- is that correct? (and are these images of one, two or three tanks? My guess is 2, with one picture of one (the first) and then two pictures of the second - however I can't decide if the latter two pics show the same vehicle or not as I think the wreckage to the rear and the pile of stuff just to the left would be visible on the first shot if it is the same vehicle.

747080627_SchneiderCA1a.jpg.e5f9acaf371588490fa3d5e0a314e579.jpg

1198312116_SchneiderCA1b.jpg.79260d74ba28d1fdbc0f8e5c74adec85.jpg

1675544660_SchneiderCA1c.jpg.497f7cf521133b69c7ff0a0a998a4d07.jpg

The second image appears to show a British tank. I know that in previous threads folks have been able to identify individual vehicles from pictures and wondered if this is the case here, (or perhaps it is a known photograph)  or if it is just a "knocked out British tank" 

1043891431_BritishTank.jpg.44ea8b24cc6e2bf15c1814f14a32ce5a.jpg

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

They look like three different French tanks to me. The landscape around them looks different as do the metal parts hanging off. 

Great photos - thanks for showing.

Hello, Chris -

The first three photographs are indeed French Schneider CA1 tanks.  The second and third photographs were taken near the village of Juvincourt, where these tanks were knocked out during the Nivelle Offensive in April 1917.  [I suspect that the first photograph also was taken near Juvincourt, but my copies of this photograph do not state where it was taken.]  The second and third photographs are definitely of different tanks.

All of the three photographs of these Schneider tanks were sold commercially as post card photographs.  The Schneider tank units lost heavily during the Neville Offensive and afterwards photographs of knocked-out Schneiders were popular with German soldiers engaged there.

I have not seen any other photographs of your image of the British tank, so I cannot provide any information about it.

I hope that this information helps.

Regards, Torrey

Thanks Torrey!

I wondered about the first image being commercial as it is pretty good quality (the original is also quite large) good to know about the other ones too.

Thanks very much.

Chris

Excellent - thank you both very much.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to tag another picture on here rather than starting a new thread:

This picture is from a small lot of a dozen photographs (mostly US ambulance) I just bought. It appears to show a knocked out/disabled British tank which has been used by the Germans.

I believe the figures on it are Americans so the picture probably dates from 1918 and possibly from after the Armistice.

Wondered if this tank was also a well known much photographed examples.  Some of the other photos have what might be some place names so if I can decipher them it might give a possible area.

Thanks again

Chris

tankweb.jpg.036c3efa556fe1d2540aafbce7db9163.jpg

I have just realized that there may be a name on the tank 

name.jpg.aa54b643ec6c9e19e34757f76eaea692.jpg

I will rescan at higher resolution and see if it is legible

liesel.jpg.32f6305b3efbf3673c5ad8f30ac0ff87.jpg

possibly Lisel? or something beginning with Ues.. 

Similiar image on Twitter - albeit with civilians sat on top - and captioned 'Liesel' Beutepanzer No.1 Abteilung 14, knocked out - Fort de la Pompelle, Reims, 1st June 1918

Unfortunately I'm getting that from the cached version on Google, as I don't have a Twitter account.

Cheers,
Peter

Ahhhaaa - perhaps I should google before posting!

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1213591

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1213588

Chris

1 minute ago, PRC said:

Similiar image on Twitter - albeit with civilians sat on top - and captioned 'Liesel' Beutepanzer No.1 Abteilung 14, knocked out - Fort de la Pompelle, Reims, 1st June 1918

Unfortunately I'm getting that from the cached version on Google, as I don't have a Twitter account.

Cheers,
Peter

THANKS very much Peter!

Chris