Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I Was There Volumes

toofatfortakeoff

Does anyone know, I did search, if the complete I Was There Undying Memories of 1914-1918 has been condensed into an online work? I got one would welcome that. 

I found an unbound  collection (Brighton Oxfam about 30 issues at 99p a pop  if anyone fancies them)  today but they had been picked at. 

I've no idea if complete but Findmypast have indexed some or all as a record set. 

They seem to have scanned 1186 pages?

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&sid=101&keywordsplace_proximity=5&datasetname=britain%2c+the+great+war%2c+i+was+there&sourcecountry=great+britain

Edited by charlie962

33 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I've no idea if complete but Findmypast have indexed some or all as a record set. 

They seem to have scanned 1186 pages?

Thanks for heads up Charlie Im not sure thats  complete as it works out to 23 pages per issue (51) , I think they may be slightly beefier, 296 per volume could be, probably cheaper to buy the colujmes tho. 

I had a look at the Findmypast dataset some time ago, and as far as I could determine it was a complete set. It is however very clunky to navigate if you want to read volumes, as opposed to Searching for a specific name or term.

I  added some notes to a FIBIS Fibiwiki page https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Western_Front#Collected_stories which say

The weekly magazines are available as a database on the pay website findmypast, titled Britain, The Great War, I Was There located in Armed Forces & Conflict/First World War, which advises the 51 editions ran from 29 September 1938 to 19 September 1939. To browse the pages, do not use a Search term but click on the Search icon, when a series of 1186 pdf images, (each of two pages), will be displayed in image order. From any image you can navigate to the next image, or the previous image. (This function is located near the top of the findmypast webpage, not near the actual image). Part 1 consists of 29 images, perhaps larger than the average, if in fact all issues are included.

Some of the weekly issues (Parts 1-41, (for the period to 23 April 1918) and Part 46 (Sept-Oct 1918) are available on the Library subscription website "The First World War" by Adam Matthew Digital, module "Personal Experiences", see Subscription websites - First World War databases for details of this database. To locate this publication, it is classified as a "Printed Book" and it appears in five separate listings, the editions to Part 41 in four listings and Part 46 as a separate listing. The British Library is listed on the database website as a Participating Library. Card holders of the State Library of NSW can access The First World War: Personal Experiences module on their home computers.

Edit: There was also a three volume series published 1938-39, total pages 2060,  as shown in https://www.stellabooks.com/books/john-hammerton/the-great-war-i-was-there-3-volumes/1712686 and a later four volume reprint

Great WarIwasThere.jpeg

Edited by MaureenE

Hi Maureen many thanks for the heads up, I went gradually, inexorably toward subs, which for now I will try to avoid, but the links provide some really nice stuff, Cockney Stories and In the Line of Battle. 

I have a 4 volume set dating from after 1936 (the King was there). 2060 pages.DSCN1634.JPG.c5788d12352bd8382d2184b4eab8df5b.JPG

Edited by Gunner Bailey

On 20/12/2022 at 13:45, Gunner Bailey said:

I have a 4 volume set dating from after 1936 (the King was there). 2060 pages.

So I'm guessing, and I bought the 3 volume set..that I don't have. To buy this one :)

As an afterthought,.I was in the home of an old Sergeant of the Black Watch many many moons ago in Malton, Charlie, he did some work for an. Estate Michael Browne MP Family?  He lived at a crofters cottage or gatehouse near the road. He had the unbound magazines: he advised us 'Its all true ye know'. 

As an afterthought,.I was in the home of an old Sergeant of the Black Watch many many moons ago in Malton, Charlie, he did some work for an. Estate Michael Browne MP Family?  He lived at a crofters cottage or gatehouse near the road. He had the unbound magazines: he advised us 'Its all true ye know'. 

I have two of the three volume sets, 1 loose and the other bound (given to me by a neighbour), interesting differences page wise.

Andy

img962.jpg

Interesting to see on that one page out of 35 articles there are only three exclusive articles, the rest being extracted from other publications?

Edited by charlie962

I must admit I had got the impression that the contents of the magazines were "new" accounts which had not previously been published, but it seems from the page above posted by stiletto_33853 that the majority of the accounts had in fact been published.

Maureen

Edit: Had not seen charlie962's comment when I posted.

Edited by MaureenE

• 8 months later...
I recently noticed that the weekly issues of The Great War…I Was There! Undying Memories of 1914-1918  are being uploaded to the Patreon.com platform by the Vickers MG Collection and Research Association, and at 1 September 2023 Issues 1-22 were available to download as pdfs for free, and more uploads were expected.

I noticed this after a recent topic advised in respect of the following publication 
Twenty Years After. The Battlefields of 1914-18: Then and Now, edited by Maj Gen Sir Ernest Swinton, published by George Newnes. A series of 64 weekly editions, also reprinted as three volumes, written by those who had served, with their own photos and biographical accounts, published in the mid-late 1930s, most likely from late 1936. The weekly editions may be accessed (for free) through Vickers MG Collection and Research Association website, the actual downloads being available from the Vickers MG Collection page at patreon.com. The emphasis is on the Western Front, although other Fronts are also represented.

Maureen

Thanks Maureen, you always find something interesting.

Dave