Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.H.S. Kalyan in North Russia, 1918-1919 – Names of Nurses?

alf mcm

The late Sue Light has a post about the Hospital Ship ‘Kalyan’ in Russia on Scarletfinders;- http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/159.html

The article is by Helena Hartigan, who was one of 14 nurses on board. The Kalyan War Diary covers this period but does not mention any nurses by name. Can any forum member help with these nurses names. I believe they may be on an embarkation list, but there is not one available online that I know of. Also, I have been unable to find Helena Hartigan’s service records at T.N.A.

Regards,

Alf McM

5 hours ago, alf mcm said:

The late Sue Light has a post about the Hospital Ship ‘Kalyan’ in Russia on Scarletfinders;- http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/159.html

The article is by Helena Hartigan, who was one of 14 nurses on board. The Kalyan War Diary covers this period but does not mention any nurses by name. Can any forum member help with these nurses names. I believe they may be on an embarkation list, but there is not one available online that I know of. Also, I have been unable to find Helena Hartigan’s service records at T.N.A.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf. I couldn't find Helena Hartigan's service record but a transcript of her service does exist on Find My Past. A Medal Index Card is held at the NA in addition to a hand written index card recording an MID and two Medal Roll's, one for the 1914 Star and the other for the Victory Medal and British War Medal on Ancestry. I will send you a pm. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Gunner,

Thanks for the records you sent me. I hadn't seen the MiD index card before. I have discovered a pension card {from Fold 3}. This shows that Helena may have been discharged on medical grounds in June 1928, rather than retiring. She was only 50 years old and presumably applied for a disability pension. There is a stamped date on the back which says '193' and another digit which is illegible.

image.png.51a95329b1296137854a349a1b33d6b5.png

Image courtesy of Fold 3, via Westen Front Association.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf,

I’m not able to download the file but I believe Mary GILLOTT WO 399/3136 was onboard HMHS Kaylan from 1916 to 1919. (Cannot read all the dates through the watermark).

Appears she kept a diary & took photos – now in the Leeds Russian Archive, worth a look if anyone is nearby.

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/532db39e-180f-32f6-a1ec-79484d34087f

Regards ZeZe

Hello ZeZe,

Thanks for the name.

I now have Mary GILLOTT's records and they show she was on Kalyan from 12th July 1919 until 22nd October 1919. This would seem to imply that some of the original nurses, from October 1918, were replaced. The dates are in a testimonial written by the Matron of Kalyan at the time, The signature looks like E.M. Lang, probably Ethel May LANG.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf,

Downloaded the GILLOT & LANG files. I read the Gillott service dates slightly differently. I think Ethel Lang is only saying that Gillott had served under her for the dates 12th July 1919 until 22nd October 1919. It was Lang who joined later in July 1919.

Gillott’s file Page 8. embarked 19.10.18 HMHS Kalyan.

Lang’s file WO 399/4719 page 54, Recalled from France 21.06.19.

Orders for Kalyan … Command Paymaster, Eastern Command authorised to issue special weather clothing 27.06.19.

Reported from Kalyan, paid to 16.10.19.

The last two pages in her file confirm Lang sailed from Leith for North Russia on July 7th 1919.

I’m glad the nurses were authorised for a warm clothing allowance, they certainly needed it.

Small scale photo of the fur wrapped staff here: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hmhs-kalyan-hospital-ship-archangel-246518264 

Regards ZeZe

Thanks ZeZe,

Excellent photo.

I only had a quick look at Mary GILLOTT's file last night, so it would seem that she was in fact one of the 'original' nurses.

There is an interesting obituary for Helena Hartigan here, she was awarded quite a few medals;-  Volume 80 Page 19 (rcn.org.uk)

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf,

I guessed you hadn’t had the time to go through the files in detail. At least more of the history is known – that Kalyan returned to Leith in June 1919 only to return to Russia on 7th July and was there until returning in October 1919 (with a different A/Matron on board).

Notice in Gazette, for the Masters name:

The KING (is) pleased to give orders for the following promotions in, and appointments to, the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for services in connection with the War, to be dated 1st January, 1920 … To be Officers of the Civil Division of the said Most Excellent Order:

Captain Sidney Finch. Master, S.S. "Kalyan."

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13582/page/921/data.pdf

Regards ZeZe

The 'Scotsman' of 5th August 1919 recorded that the troopship Kaylan landed at Leith on 4th August, with 720 'British' troops on board. 250 were on the sick list, including 70 cot cases. There were also some French officers and men.

The 'Scotsman' of 30th August 1919 recorded that the steamer Kalyan returned to Leith on 29th August with about 600 invalided soldiers on board. This total included a small number of French, Americans and Serbians.

The 'Scotsman' of 18th October 1919 recorded the following;-

MORE TROOPS HOME FROM RUSSIA

On board the troopship Kalyan, which arrived at Leith yesterday from Murmansk, there were 400 men, about 300 of these being British soldiers belonging to various regiments, and about 80 naval ratings. Many were hospital cases.

There was obviously plenty opportunities for changes of nursing staff. It is interesting that Kalyan is not referred to as a Hospital Ship.

Regards,

Alf McM

8 hours ago, alf mcm said:

It is interesting that Kalyan is not referred to as a Hospital Ship

No real need to officially designate it as a hospital ship, as by 1919 who would have been a threat anyway? (Better also to have the flexibility of allowing the ship to act in support military operations in Northern Russia by assisting in the transport of essential supplies).

In fact towards the end of the war most of the ships performing the hospital ship role had officially been redesigned ‘Ambulance Transports’ since as well having certain rights of protection afforded to them by the Hague Convention, there were also some onerous obligations imposed on hospital ships (like having to sail at night with navigation lights showing and with the ship’s side illuminated), and it didn’t really make sense to be sticking to such obligations, if German U-boats were violating treaty protections (as evident from the sinking of ‘Llandovery Castle’). 

TNA has a downloadable copy of the ship’s war diary WO-95-4146-4.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Hi Alf,

A search of the London Gazette ‘Archangel’, date range 1918 to 1920, produces no end of information on the North Russia intervention.

I thought there was a chance of another “Kalyan” nurse with this result:

3rd February, 1920: The names of the undermentioned have been brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War by General H. S., Lord Eawlinson, G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C,M.G., A.D.C., Gen. General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Allied Forces, North Russia, for valuable and distinguished services rendered in connection with the operations in North Russia during the period 25th March to 26th September, 1919. Dated 11th November, 1919:—

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31764/supplement/1380

No luck for a nurse at Archangel. I was more than irked, as after flicking forward to page 1384, found under ‘serving at Murmansk’ three Q.A.I.M.N.S. mentioned.

Matron S. BROWN

Sister H. McCANN

Sister G. J. PULLIN

Their experiences even farther north, within the Arctic Circle, must have been very similar to the Kalyan nurses at Archangel, perhaps it was even colder. Key dates & names of other Murmansk nurses from their files:

Matron Susan BROWN (WO 399/1032) embarked H.M.H.S. Braemar Castle on 22/10/18; was struck of Braemar Castle and posted to 86 Gen. Hospital on 28/05/19; reported arrival in Leith from 86 Gen. Hospital on 30/08/19.

Sister Henryetta G McCANN (WO 399/5098) embarked H.M.H.S. Braemar Castle on 22/10/18. H.M.A.T. Braemar Castle disbanded, proceeded on leave, paid for performing A/Matron duties on Braemar Castle to 29/08/19.

Sister Gertrude Josephine PULLIN (WO 399/6806) embarked H.M.H.S. Braemar Castle on 22/10/18. Ship disbanded, proceeded on leave 28/08/19.

Nurses serving at 86 Gen. Hospital, Murmansk (WO 399/1032):

Sisters: M. RUSSELL, I. ROBSON, M.G. EASTER, E. A. P. SHAW, M. PATTERSON,

S/Nurses: E. EVERITT, M. HAMILTON, D. E. PERRY.

Struck off strength A.T. Braemar Castle 05/09/19 (WO 399/6806):

A/Matron H. McCANN

Sisters J. COLLINS, G. J. PULLIN

S/Nurse M. GRAY

War Diary for (H.M.H.S. to Feb 1919 then change of designation to H.M.A.T.) Braemar Castle: 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/98218a69af794b70873706495f03fde3

This section of the diary is typed, with more names and interesting details, i.e. winter weather temperatures, names of other ships etc, than usually found in most war diaries. Braemar Castle remained as an ice bound hospital at Murmansk through the winter of 18/19. She returned to Leith in February 1919 for repairs and during the spring and summer made several trips between Murmansk and Leith.

Two additional nurses named in the war diary:

Sister SCORGIE – attached part time to 86 Gen Hospital & S/Nurse PICKMAN.

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe

16 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

No real need to officially designate it as a hospital ship, as by 1919 who would have been a threat anyway? (Better also to have the flexibility of allowing the ship to act in support military operations in Northern Russia by assisting in the transport of essential supplies).

In fact towards the end of the war most of the ships performing the hospital ship role had officially been redesigned ‘Ambulance Transports’ since as well having certain rights of protection afforded to them by the Hague Convention, there were also some onerous obligations imposed on hospital ships (like having to sail at night with navigation lights showing and with the ship’s side illuminated), and it didn’t really make sense to be sticking to such obligations, if German U-boats were violating treaty protections (as evident from the sinking of ‘Llandovery Castle’). 

TNA has a downloadable copy of the ship’s war diary WO-95-4146-4.

MB

Thanks MB.

What you say makes sense for 1919.

Regards,

Alf MvcM

13 hours ago, ZeZe said:

Hi Alf,

A search of the London Gazette ‘Archangel’, date range 1918 to 1920, produces no end of information on the North Russia intervention.

I thought there was a chance of another “Kalyan” nurse with this result:

3rd February, 1920: The names of the undermentioned have been brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War by General H. S., Lord Eawlinson, G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C,M.G., A.D.C., Gen. General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Allied Forces, North Russia, for valuable and distinguished services rendered in connection with the operations in North Russia during the period 25th March to 26th September, 1919. Dated 11th November, 1919:—

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31764/supplement/1380

No luck for a nurse at Archangel. I was more than irked, as after flicking forward to page 1384, found under ‘serving at Murmansk’ three Q.A.I.M.N.S. mentioned.

Matron S. BROWN

Sister H. McCANN

Sister G. J. PULLIN

Their experiences even farther north, within the Arctic Circle, must have been very similar to the Kalyan nurses at Archangel, perhaps it was even colder. Key dates & names of other Murmansk nurses from their files:

Matron Susan BROWN (WO 399/1032) embarked H.M.H.S. Braemar Castle on 22/10/18; was struck of Braemar Castle and posted to 86 Gen. Hospital on 28/05/19; reported arrival in Leith from 86 Gen. Hospital on 30/08/19.

Sister Henryetta G McCANN (WO 399/5098) embarked H.M.H.S. Braemar Castle on 22/10/18. H.M.A.T. Braemar Castle disbanded, proceeded on leave, paid for performing A/Matron duties on Braemar Castle to 29/08/19.

Sister Gertrude Josephine PULLIN (WO 399/6806) embarked H.M.H.S. Braemar Castle on 22/10/18. Ship disbanded, proceeded on leave 28/08/19.

Nurses serving at 86 Gen. Hospital, Murmansk (WO 399/1032):

Sisters: M. RUSSELL, I. ROBSON, M.G. EASTER, E. A. P. SHAW, M. PATTERSON,

S/Nurses: E. EVERITT, M. HAMILTON, D. E. PERRY.

Struck off strength A.T. Braemar Castle 05/09/19 (WO 399/6806):

A/Matron H. McCANN

Sisters J. COLLINS, G. J. PULLIN

S/Nurse M. GRAY

War Diary for (H.M.H.S. to Feb 1919 then change of designation to H.M.A.T.) Braemar Castle: 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/98218a69af794b70873706495f03fde3

This section of the diary is typed, with more names and interesting details, i.e. winter weather temperatures, names of other ships etc, than usually found in most war diaries. Braemar Castle remained as an ice bound hospital at Murmansk through the winter of 18/19. She returned to Leith in February 1919 for repairs and during the spring and summer made several trips between Murmansk and Leith.

Two additional nurses named in the war diary:

Sister SCORGIE – attached part time to 86 Gen Hospital & S/Nurse PICKMAN.

Regards ZeZe

ZeZe,

Thanks for all these names. I had most of the names from Braemar Castle, but some are new to me.

There were 2 General and 3 Stationary Hospitals in North Russia, which means quite a few nurses. I don't think any of these hospital's war diaries are online.

With regards to 'Kalyan', I was reading some notes I wrote a few years ago after reading the war diary, and noticed that Sister ROCHE was returned to hospital on 21/10/19. This is Fredericka G. ROCHE {399/7157}.

Regards,

Alf McM

8 hours ago, alf mcm said:

ZeZe,

There were 2 General and 3 Stationary Hospitals in North Russia, which means quite a few nurses. I don't think any of these hospital's war diaries are online.

According to JulIet Piggot’s book on QARANC, the nursing staff for the hospitals ashore were provided by the ladies of the Russia Red Cross.

MB

Thanks again MB. I wasn't aware of the Russian Red Cross nurses.

'Braemar Castle's war diary for 13/01/19 states that 'Sisters H.G. McCANN and J.G. PULLIN and Staff Nurse PICKMAN are repared to remain here and nurse at the 86th Gen. Hosp. for any reasonable length of time'.

A page in the file of Susan BROWN shows a nominal roll of nurses at 86 G.H. {no date]. She is the Matron and there are 5 Sisters and 3 Staff Nurses {As listed by ZeZe}. The 3 nurses mentioned above are not named on this list.

Presumably the other hospitals also had a small staf of British nurses, but is likely that the the bulk of the nursing staff were Russian Red Cross.

Regards,

Alf McM

“The ascension of the Bolsheviks to power led to the breakup of the Russian Red Cross Society (RRCS) into a multitude of national and political associations, each claiming its material and symbolic heritage. When the Civil War began, these fragments of the RRCS no longer existed as effective sanitary organisations. But in autumn 1918, as epidemics threatened troops and civil populations alike, RC institutions had to be set up again urgently. In view of their experience and infrastructure, the Moscow, Omsk, and Kiev RC organisations quickly became decisive players in the Civil War with the Red Army and the White armies of Kolchak, Denikin, and Wrangel. In many fields, these RC organisations acted as a substitute for the state. They were responsible for nursing, nutrition, and evacuation.”   Jean-François Fayet

MB

Thanks again MB, that's very interesting.

The contribution of the British Red Cross was the distribution of hospital stores from Murmansk and Archangel. These stores were distributed by their Commissioners in Russia. Initially this was Col. A.E.C. Kibble, C.B., D.D.M.S. N.R.E.F., and later Col. R.T. Blackham, C.B.

Lt.Col. E.L. Moss, A.D.M.S. Syren Force became Acting Commissioner at Archangel; Lt. Col. MacDermott, P.M.O. Elope force became Acting Commissioner at Archangel.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf,

Seasons Greetings

Other ‘Kalyan’ nurses:

Bridget RYAN (WO 399/7302)

Gertrude Victoria BOWYER (WO 399/826)

Marguerite LARKIN (WO 399/4737)

Grace Alice DOBSON (WO 399/2262)

Emily Elizabeth GLANVILLE (WO 399/3143)

Helen McWHIRTER (WO 399/5335) see p.10

(I’ve only downloaded & read some of McWhirter’s file)

A NA MIC search -

Corps field: Archangel

Rank/unit field: Sister

Results in 26 Russian Ladies serving at 'the English Hospital'. Doesn’t sound like military run hospital. Not sure if these nurses are part of the Elsie Inglis Mission to Russia from August 1916 to November 1917 or are they connected to the Russian Red Cross nurses of 1919 as discussed above, any ideas?

I wonder if any of the Sisters survived the revolution and what became of their medals.

Regards ZeZe

A belated season's greetings to you ZeZe.

That's a great list of 'Kalyan' nurses ypu've found. How did you manage to find them?

The 'Russian Ladies' could have helped with Elsie Inglis Scottish Women's Hospital, but it seems the SWH didn't set up a hospital in Archangel.

The British Red Cross doesn't appear to have had a hospital at Archangel, but they do admit that a lot of their records and paperwork were lost due to the stuation in Russia at the time of the evacuation.

The National Archives medal cards for the 'Russian Ladies' are actually only for 15 women, who are named on the medal rolls. A number of women have 2 cards with their forenames and surnames reversed. One has 3 cards. The asterisks in front of their names indicate how many cards for each nurse;-

*Matron Marie Mekhaelouna IVANOVA

**Sister Nadesda Nikolaevna BERNARD-de-GRAVE

**Sister Maria Effimovna DENISOVA

*Sister Ekaterina Vasileovna FATENSOVA

**Sister Leokadia Eduardovno HMELVSKAIA

*Sister Alexandra Alexanndrovna KIPARISOVA

*Sister Daria LAGINA

**Sister Natalia Nikholaevna LECHAEVA [Also recorded as NECHEAVA]

**Sister Emilia Androyevna LVOVA

*Sister Maria Nikhoaevna SAMSONOVA

**Sister Kristina Dmitrievna STEPANOVA

***Sister Anna Georgievna TARATINA

**Sister Alexandra Trofimova UVINA

**Sister Taisia Georgievna VOLKOVA

**Sister Francisco Ferdinandovna WAGNER, same person as Sister F.F. FITZWILLIAMS [not on medal roll] – Same person

Sister FITZWILLIAMS/ Mrs. WAGNER may hold a clue to the unit's name. Her card indicates she was awarded the M.B.E.

Perhaps @ForeignGongcan help.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Hi Alf,

A few more ‘Kalyan’ nurses:

Elizabeth Jane HOWITT (WO 399/4037)

Louisa Lavinia ALLEN (WO 399/83) see p.30

Margaret C THOMPSON (WO 399/8292)

Frederia / Frederika ROCHE (WO 399/7157)

Found Louisa Allen on BJN search ‘Archangel’, https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/volumes/68/Volume%2068%20Page%20319 Helen McWhirter was found with a mix of luck & intuition.

Unusally some of the files have included lists of other names, which gets the roll going.

I think all the above sailed in Oct 18. As E M Lang sailed later in 1919, I make it 12 names found – two to find.

I hadn’t spotted the Russian Ladies being repeated. I also thought BERNARD-de-GRAVE might be a traceable name.

For interest, a short account from Alexander Hepburne MACKLINs thesis on evacuating wounded, North Russian Syren Expeditionary Force, later published as The Evacuation of Sick and Wounded from Mobile Columns.

https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/volumes/67/Volume%2067%20Page%20406

There is plenty on the internet regarding Surgeon Macklin and his experiences of Antarctic conditions with Shackleton, e.g. this BMJ article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1697786/pdf/bmj00052-0026.pdf

A timeline for the Braemar Castle nurse’s. There are two M. Hamilton’s in the nurse records but neither seem to be likely. Also stuck on the identity of J. Collins. (I’ve tried Collin & Collings). There is one Scorgie file, but not for Agnes. At least seven returned to Leith on board 'Kalyan' on nursing duty.

image.png.eaf259ff3f7996f1f1b1358dc631b39d.png

Regards ZeZe

Thanks ZeZe,

Thanks for the additional 'Kalyan' names

Found this in the Birmingham Daily Gazette of 23rd December 1919, she is named as Francesca Wagner;-

image.png.c38595f4956fcf127b6b3a42513e621a.png

Image courtesey Findmypast.

And this in the Diss Express of 17th December 1920. Duncan Fitzwilliams served with the N.R.E.F.;-

image.png.ad6e0bf5fd8b21144100b4111a20ec90.png

Image courtesey Findmypast.

Petrograd is not eactly close to Archangel, and she's not mentioned on the staff list in 'The Forgotten Hospital', about the Anglo-Russian Hospital there.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

According to information contained in ‘Medical Services - General History, Volume IV (History of the Great War) Ch. XXII, Maj. Gen. W.G. MacPherson’…..

Miss Hartigan, the Matron of the hospital ship, was appointed Acting Principal Matron to the Force.

And Russian nursing sisters were employed at No. 53 Stationary Hospital (established in the Monastery at Smolny, a southern suburb of Archangel) equipped with 550 beds.

MB

edit - according to same source, the medical organization of the force (based around Archangel) was as follows :

At the base were No. 53 Stationary Hospital, equipped for 550 beds ; the H.S. "Kalyan”  (756 beds) ; an American hospital equipped for 35 beds, and an American Red Cross Hospital for 78 beds ; No. 125 Sanitary Section and No. 16 Base Depot of Medical Stores ; a section of No. 337 American Field Ambulance ; and No. 85 General Hospital, installed in the Russian naval headquarters at Solombola, a northern suburb of Archangel.

https://archive.org/details/medicalservicesg04macp/page/511/mode/1up?q=Kalyan

Edited by KizmeRD

Thanks M.B., that explains the Russian Ladies.

It would seem that Miss Hartigan was speciffically selected for the N.R.E.F. From Maud McCarthy's war diary;-

09.10.18 Miss Hartigan RRC, QAIMNS: Received wire from DGMS regarding this lady, who is required for duty in Northern Russia if willing. She should return to the United Kingdom at once and report to the Matron-in-Chief at the War Office. Report action taken. Wired DMS, L of C that Miss Hartigan was willing, and was crossing by the first boat on 10th.

Regards,

Alf McM

Matron Helena Hartigan’s medal card…

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6083034

MB

edit - see also (includes a photo)....

http://anurseatthefront.org.uk/names-mentioned-in-the-diaries/other-people/medical-colleagues/helena-hartigan/

Edited by KizmeRD

Hi Alf,

One more ‘Kalyan’ nurse – Mary MILLER

From the HMSO booklet & info in the files, Kalyan sailed from North Russia on 3rd June 1919 to Leith, the nurses probably went on leave on arrival (three certainly did), but Matron Hartigan and Sister Howitt disembarked to join other posts and S/Nurse Miller left the service. I think it likely that the last unknown nurse also disembarked for another posting, or left the service in June, which is why she is not listed on the staff roll as being granted leave on 5th to the 10th August 1919.

As the nurses are rather scattered through the post I have listed the known nurses with a few dates from their files.

Served on ‘Kalyan’ for part of the period

Matron Helena HARTIGAN (no file) embarked 19.10.18, disembarked Kalyan around 12.06.19

Sister Bridget Elizabeth Jane HOWITT (WO 399/4037) from Tidworth Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, disembarked Kalyan around 16.06.19, continued in Home service.

S/Nurse Mary MILLER (WO 399/5836) from Reading Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, letter of resignation dated 03.06.19, demob 30.06.19

S/Nurse Louisa Lavinia ALLEN (WO 399/83) list p.30 from Brook Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, demob 15.08.19

S/Nurse Margaret C THOMPSON (WO 399/8292) from Millbank Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, letter dated 06.08.19 in file informing 'engagement terminated owing to reduction of Establishment', demob 15.08.19

Matron Ethel May LANG (WO 399/471)  from France, embarked June?, role as Matron on Kalyan from 12.07.19, granted leave 05.08.19 to 10.08.19., disembarked Kalyan 22.10.19, continued in service.

Served on ‘Kalyan’ for all the period 19.10.1918 to 22.10.1919

Sister Mary GILLOTT (WO 399/3136) from Sutton Verny Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, demob 31.10.19 

Sister Marguerite LARKIN (WO 399/4737) from Sutton Verny Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, demob 31.10.19 

Sister Frederia / Frederika ROCHE (WO 399/7157) from Millbank Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, disembarked Kalyan 22.10.19, continued in service.

Sister Bridget RYAN (WO 399/7302) from Reading Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, demob 31.10.19 

S/Nurse Gertrude Victoria BOWYER (WO 399/826) from Tidworth Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, demob 31.10.19 

S/Nurse Grace Alice DOBSON (WO 399/2262) from Reading Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, demob 31.10.19 

S/Nurse Emily Elizabeth GLANVILLE (WO 399/3143) from Tidworth Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, demob 31.10.19 

S/Nurse Helen McWHIRTER (WO 399/5335) list p.10, from Tidworth Hosp., embarked 19.10.18, demob 31.10.19 

The HMSO booklet Army. The evacuation of North Russia, 1919 has been mentioned before on GWF – the table p.44/45 with dates of sailings & numbers of troops on board Kalyan and Braemar Castle is useful to tally with the articles in The Scotsman. Kalyan’s last Arctic voyage was from Murmansk 12.10.19 to Leith 17.10.19.; the nurses disembarked at Tilbury Docks 22.10.19.

https://archive.org/details/armyevacuationof00greauoft/page/44//mode/2up

Kalyan nurses in North Russia mentioned in the newspapers etc:

Sister Howitt – award of R.R.C 2nd Class; Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette p.4, Tuesday 10 June 1919.

Sister Gillott – notice of death, Mary was only 39. I suspect that is why her diary and photos have survived, her parents would have cherished the memories and kept them safe; Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express p.12, Saturday 30 October 1926.

BMJ, S/Nurse Margaret Carruthers Thompson mentioned, https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/volumes/71/Volume 71 Page 44

This article states there were two Fitzwilliams brothers in Russia, Duncan & Gerard, both physicians, Gerard also had espionage as a sideline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_H._L._Fitzwilliams

Regards ZeZe