Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help deciphering message to Battalion

Barney74

Hi all,

I'm researching a member of 42nd Battalion AIF. He was listed as Missing in Action after the Battle of Amiens on 12 August 1918.  When reviewing the Battalion War Diary I found this message in the files. I'm wanting to understand to whom it was written.  I can't determine who GOBO would be. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Barney

War Diary 12 August.jpg

I wonder if GOBO is a code or name used at local battalion level so as to confirm the identity of the sender as genuine or conceal both sender and recipients unit....possibly addressed to the Battalion Captain or Commander. 

I feel like this was written by the Company Commader of D Company. I believe C & D Companies led the Battalion attack at Amiens. Potentially this is a message back to Battalion HQ and B in GOBO stands for Battalion. 

1 hour ago, Barney74 said:

Potentially this is a message back to Battalion HQ and B in GOBO stands for Battalion. 

Yes to the message being intended for battalion HQ.  No that GOBO stands for battalion, but the codeword probably did signify a battalion during this operation.  My grandfather was a Brigade signaller in 11th Brigade, supporting 41, 42, 43, 44 Battalions and I've read all of these over time looking for the tiny number published that bear his signature.  One of the runners in his section captured 8 prisoners hiding in dugouts this day.

My understanding is that these 4-digit codes are rolling codewords for formation (11th AIF Brigade), units (the 4 battalions) and supporting units (tanks, artillery etc).  These words were  allocated to minimise signal eavesdropping and conceal specific units, as suggested in post #2 .  A quick look across the 42nd Battalion finds signals with addresses like TOPO, GOBO, GODO, RULO and TUFO etc.

The Battle of Amiens had just concluded, but the advance along the Somme continued and 42nd Battalion was heavily involved in clearing Proyart.  Flank protection was a real issue now as the north side of the Somme was still in enemy hands.  At t 11:15 am the 42nd Battalion, now down to 300 riflemen, came in contact with the enemy holding the St Germain Wood. However, the daylight attack without artillery support cost them half their fighting strength due to gas and high explosive.

During the afternoon patrols established themselves on a general north / south line a few hundred metres east of Proyart. The village was captured so quickly that uneaten meals were left on tables. A sergeant from the neighbouring 10th Brigade was awarded a Victoria Cross for racing across 800 metres of open ground and attacking a machine gun post with his revolver.

On the same day, 43rd Battalion captured Mericourt-sur-Somme and General John Monash was knighted at Australian Corps headquarters at Bertangles.