Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

french gallantry medals

Guest john bairstow

Guest john bairstow

I am searching for my grandfather's war record- Sergeant Isaac Nicholl Royal Garrison Artillery. I have a photo of his medals( medals in NZ with cousin) and I have found 3 entries in the London Gazette regarding his croix de guerre with palm and his medaille militaire. I also have a copy of his medal card with of course no mention of the French medals. He also served in the Royal Engineers though I don't know when exactly. I have written to the French archives office in Paris and am awaiting a reply. Has anyone any other suggestions as to how to get my hands on the citations for French medals?

John,

I would appreciate knowing the address you wrote to as I have a set of medals which includes a French medaille militaire. His papers show that this, along with a Croix de Guerre were gazetted, but only the medaille militaire appears in the Gazette or came with the group when purchased. I would therefore like to know whether the French records mention whether the C de G was actually awarded, or whether it was assumed by a clerk it would be so following the award of a medaille militaire, and thus noted on his papers.

Thanks

Steve