Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Ypres Friday 22nd April

ianw

I finish a long turgid work assignment on 21st April and may well celebrate freedom with a trip over.

Attractions of 22nd April are considerable :-

Burial of 4 Australians near Bailleul (11am ?)

A Special Last Post Ceremony

Chris Baker & other Pals over there

Other special events at Zonnebeke

At present I am just contemplating a day trip but could be persuaded to stay longer if accomodation might be available.

I will be leaving from Leatherhead (Surrey) and thence down the M25/M20 (Operation stack permitting) and will be using the Tunnel. Early morning start to get down to Bailleul and a late return. Could meet any other interested parties either at my home or down at the Tunnel.

If anyone is interested please PM me.

I finish a long turgid work assignment on 21st April and may well celebrate freedom with a trip over.

Attractions of 22nd April are considerable :-

Burial of 4 Australians near Bailleul (11am ?)

A Special Last Post Ceremony

Chris Baker & other Pals over there]

Hi Ian

Thanks for the info. re the Aussie burial in Bailleul.

Chris, do you have this on our agenda?

Robbie

Robbie,

Yes, I would have thought this a "must attend " occasion for anyone within striking distance on that day. I hope to see a good turn out of Pals.

I have had some interest in my offer to take some people over with me - but more are needed to spread those travel costs !

Unfortunately not, Robbie. We have an extraordinarily full agenda on each day, and the burial is one step too far for us.

Just a note to say that 3 of us are now going over and staying Friday night before returning late Saturday night/early Sunday morning.

Still have 2 seats spare there and back, but accomodation does seem a bit thin due to the special events.

Hoping to see the other Pals of course.

Just a note to say that 3 of us are now going over and staying Friday night before returning late Saturday night/early Sunday morning.

Still have 2 seats spare there and back, but accomodation does seem a bit thin due to the special events.

Hoping to see the other Pals of course.

Hi Ian

Are you going to be staying near us?

Robbie

Robbie,

We have squeezed in at Cherry Blossom B&B Brandhoek - but nothing is too far away around Ypres so will no doubt meet you guys somewhere along the way.

Ian

Robbie,

We have squeezed in at Cherry Blossom B&B Brandhoek - but nothing is too far away around Ypres so will no doubt meet you guys somewhere along the way.

Ian

That's good, Ian. As you can see I have NO idea of where everything is over there.

Robbie B)

As you can see I have NO idea of where everything is over there.

As long as you know where the bars are Robbie :P

As long as you know where the bars are Robbie  :P

I'm relying on the rest of you knowing that Derek.

:lol:

Some of the children of the St-Julien Elementary School ('my' school) will assist at the ceremony at the Canadian Memorial (Vancouver Corner) on friday evening. I think some of the forummembers will also be there. I know most of the regular members by reading their names on this forum, but it would be fine to put 'some faces' on this names. So I invite members who also attend the ceremony to say hello when they are at the Vancouver Memorial!

Robbie,

Don't forget to collect up all the empty bottle tops at Varlet Farm - you get a free book if you collect fifty and hand them in ........ I'm sure everyone else in the party will help you ....... they're a generous lot, really.

Robbie,

Don't forget to collect up all the empty bottle tops at Varlet Farm - you get a free book if you collect fifty and hand them in ........  I'm sure everyone else in the party will help you .......  they're a generous lot, really.

Martin? Are you fair dinkum? Any whiff of a free book and I'm there.

Robbie :blink:

Robbie,

Don't forget to collect up all the empty bottle tops at Varlet Farm - you get a free book if you collect fifty and hand them in ........  I'm sure everyone else in the party will help you .......  they're a generous lot, really.

I am reliably informed that Kwak ones to count

JOhn

Hi to all

Geography lesson required, (maps in the garage, 1 mile away) can you please tell me the location of Bailleul, as I hope to be in or around Ypres from the 21-April, for a week or two, and will be staying in a small motorhome, if the location is near Ypres, or within a few hours drive I will go to the burial,

hope to meet up with a few pals in the Shell hole,

Best regards to all

Colin

Colin,

Bailleul is only 15 km SW of Ypres on N375/D23 Dikkebus- Kemmel Rd.

Hope to see you there , travel Gods willing !

Regards Ian