Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Channel Conditions/Logistics August 1914

Guest iread2k

Guest iread2k

Can someone help me with the following specifics regarding troop mobilization during August 1914?

What were the Channel weather conditions 12 August 1914, Southampton to Le Havre (arriving Le Havre around 2am on 13 August)?

What were the general staging operations/conditions at Le Havre?

How were troops transported from Le Havre to the Frontier (specifically, to Cuesmes - arrival 22 August)?

Thanks,

Mary Brennan

From the experiences of 2nd Grenadier Guards and 1st Irish Guards, who crossed from Southampton on the evening of 12 August, leaving Southampton at 8pm and 7pm respectively. The Channel was ‘like a millpond’. Nearing the French coast the Grenadiers were greeted by French fishing vessels, whose crews cheered them. Passing through various docks and basins they eventually moored (Grenadiers 11am, Irish 6am) and disembarked. It was a very hot day. They had to wait in a metal hangar until they were complete and then marched some 4 miles to a camp on the top of a hill in the suburbs of Le Havre. This was Large Rest Camp No 2, which had been erected by the French. On 14 August the Irish Guards at least had a chance to swim in the sea.

Late that night they marched to the station at Le Havre where, amid a thunderstorm, they boarded trains, one for each battalion. The followed some 17 hours travelling at a very slow pace, one problem being a prehistoric braking system, which meant that every time the engine stopped the carriages and wagons jolted into one another. Eventually, the Grenadiers detrained at Vaux at 7.15pm amid pouring rain and went into billets. The Irish Guards arrived at Wassigny at 10.45pm and camped in a farm near the station. Next day they marched to Vadencourt, going into billets, while the Grenadiers did the same at Grougis. They remained in situ for four days before beginning their march across the frontier and into Belgium.

Hope this helps

Charles M

Guest iread2k

Thanks - this is a tremendous help!

The soldier I'm researching served in 1st Lincolnshire 1909-1915 (Mons, 1st & 2nd Ypres, etc), Machine Gun Corps (204 Bn) Nov. 1915-1921 (disbanded in Basra), then to 2nd Lincolnshire 1921-1930.

I appreciate knowing the specifics of the crossing on 12 August 1914. I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks, again.