Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Martin Flynn Connaught Ranger 1486/5378/389103/6360 medals

Anthony466

A new photo has surfaced of Martin wearing his medals that were lost in the UK after his death. Can anyone help identify them. We know he was in South Africa, India and WW1.

thanks

anthony

Martin with medals.jpg

Edited by Anthony466
error in stating WW2 instead of WW1

Looks like a Queen’s South Africa with four clasps, 1914 or 1914/15 Star, Victory and British War Medal. The latter two are the wrong way round (BWM should come before Victory Medal).

58 DM.

Deffo QSA with 4 clasps as @58 Div Mulesays. QSA medal roll for his Regt will reveal the clasps.

Thank you all. Unfortunately we believe that the medals from the seven brothers and possibly their father (Queens Sudan Medal and Khedive Sudan medal) were taken from the house in Bunree, Ballina by Martin's son Jimmy. He took them to England to show someone, but he died of cancer when he was there and the medals were not found in his abode. I managed to repurchase Patrick's WW1 trio recently, but obviously we would like the others back in the family. 

Worth posting on British Medal Forum and Medal News if you haven’t done so already? Even if a collector is unwilling to part with the medals at least you’ll know they’re out there.

58 DM.

13 minutes ago, 58 Div Mule said:

Worth posting on British Medal Forum and Medal News if you haven’t done so already? Even if a collector is unwilling to part with the medals at least you’ll know they’re out there.

58 DM.

I have already posted but no luck over the last year. thanks very much

anthony

I’ve had a look at the Medal Rolls for Martin (courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk) 
It appears he was awarded the QSA as 6360 Pte M. Flynn 1st Bn Conn Rangers. Annotated as receiving the clasp Relief of Ladysmith along with the note invalided. A further entry shows clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and South Africa 1902 being issued on 14 April 1910. I suspect a soldier that was invalided/wounded during the relief of Ladysmith who subsequently returned to South Africa and picked up three more clasps in or around 1902?

His Medal Index Card for WW1 gives 5378 Pte Martin Flynn. 1914/15 Trio, landing in theatre 2a (Balkans) 6.10.15. Interestingly the MIC notes the award of the latter three clasps for his QSA.

Later served as 389103 in the Labour Corps.

58 DM.

3 minutes ago, 58 Div Mule said:

I’ve had a look at the Medal Rolls for Martin (courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk) 
It appears he was awarded the QSA as 6360 Pte M. Flynn 1st Bn Conn Rangers. Annotated as receiving the clasp Relief of Ladysmith along with the note invalided. A further entry shows clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and South Africa 1902 being issued on 14 April 1910. I suspect a soldier that was invalided/wounded during the relief of Ladysmith who subsequently returned to South Africa and picked up three more clasps in or around 1902?

His Medal Index Card for WW1 gives 5378 Pte Martin Flynn. 1914/15 Trio, landing in theatre 2a (Balkans) 6.10.15. Interestingly the MIC notes the award of the latter three clasps for his QSA.

Later served as 389103 in the Labour Corps.

58 DM.

I have access to Ancestry since the beginning of December so most previous research was done via FOLD3 or findmypast. I confirm Martin was in the Balkans with his brother John, who got shot in the mouth but survived.

anthony